Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pull core areator behind revitalizer

2burning

Has anyone pulled a core areator (like an Agrifab or Brinly, I can't even remember what brand I have) on the hitch on the back of a revitalizer? I was wanting to but the hitch on the revitalizer looks heavy enough but it is only attached to the sheet metal guard on the revitalizer. I usually use four cement blocks for weight on the areator. The idea would be to mow, revitalize, and core in one pass.

With the grooves that are cut by the revitalizer, why do you also need to do the core aeration? I thought the purpose of a revitalizer was to de-thatch and aerate at the same time, just by the way it works.

The part of the yard I am working on is very rough. It is a lot of fill dirt with not much topsoil, so it is mostly clay with very little sand and organic matter. I am trying to tear it up as much as possible in one pass, becasue I am lazy :> Also, I think a core areator has a deeper reach than a revitalizer. Trying to tear it up so that it has a chance to level out more and not be so rough. There is no thatch (or what I recognize as thatch?) in this area of the lawn. I am scared to use a roller on it, becasue it seems so compacted already. We planted some trees there this spring and had to use a pick axe just to dig a foot or so down! I am fairly heavy and I couldn't make any headway at all with a sharp tile spade. They put that hitch on the back of the revitalizer for some reason, but I just don't know if it is heavy enough to pull an areator...

my 2 cents is that it will pull it. I just posted some pictures of my revitalizer on another thread and I have the hitch installed wrong....but if you go slow enough, I think it will be fine. Besides, your ground speed for using the revitalizer needs to be very slow anyway. Having said that....I wouldn't do it. Revitalizers are rare and parts are hard to come by. If you have a functioning revitalizer....I would not risk it.

• 3 weeks later...
I guess the safe thing is to not do this - Thanks everyone! I have been real busy lately with other stuff, hopefully I have time now to keep up out here.