Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
RBE17

16 HP B&S Single Cyl Question

RBE17
I'd like to repower my AC917H w/ a single cylinder 16HP B&S engine. However, I have found it difficult to determine what engine number or ID that to be. Could someone please tell me? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

RBE17
I guess I should be a little more specific. I'm looking for model numbers of ones that will fit. Also, I want to run front attachments. It's my understanding that these single cyl B&S will still do that. I'm aware that the wiring needs to be changed. Thanks, Steve.

HubbardRA
Steve, If the engine has the ears on the oil pan that fit the mounting holes in the tractor, and the spacing of the holes in the flywheel are the same as the driveshaft, then it can easily be mounted in that tractor. With a little work nearly any engine can be put in those tractors if the external size will fit inside the chassis and under the hood. I put a 12 HP Kohler from a Cub Cadet in my 61 Wards, with neither the engine mounts nor the flywheel bolts matching the original tractor setup. I just built some adapters and dropped it in the chassis anyway. It is more dependent on what you want and can find to put in the tractor. I did give up on putting a 16 Hp, two cylinder Onan into the 61 Wards. I would have needed to make some serious modifications to the chassis and I did not want to hack up that tractor.