Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vickers Hydro Leaks

SmilinSam

Does anyone have any experience fixing leaks in the older vickers hydrostatic transmissions? I once hauled one in to the dealer to do the repairs, it did not leak as bad but I was told that some of the necessary seals are no longer available. I have more of these units that I would like to use( They work good and I like them) but they leak bad enough that you have to add oil about every two hours. Any helpful suggestions?

Try searching this discussion forum with the single keyword "Vickers". This has been discussed many times as the Vickers leak is extremely common. There are a few "temporary" fixes that are cheap but don't last, and a very good, permanent fix that can be expensive. I personally have tried o-rings and even a garden hose nozzle washer on the control shaft as cheap fixes. The garden hose washer is still working after a few months, but I don't really expect it to last.

My Vickers leaks too. Depending on how bad your leak is, if you can live with mess and remember to put some newspaper or kitty litter under the tranny, maybe you should live with the leak. My tractor leaks about 1.5 qts/year and with ATF runnng at $0.99/qt. at Walmart, I live with my leak. I figured (guessed) the re-bushed housing installed would run me about $400-$600. At that cost, it would take me 266-400 years or tractor operation to break even with the fluid replacement cost. PL