Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Factory deck roller spacing?

Simpleton7016

Is there any down side for putting too many rollers on a 48" deck (or any deck for that matter)? I mean, as lond as they spin freely, I would think it should be OK. If you look at the picture below....this roller assembly and shaft assembly is set up according to factory specs. [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/636rollers.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/637rollers.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/638rollers.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/639rollers.jpg[/img] But if I have extra rollers that will fill the gaps and still spin freely, what is the problem, if any? Due to the wear on the old shafts, I am going to coat the shafts with a healthy goat of anti-seize (Good tip BLT). I will still put washers between all the rollers. I wonder why the spaces in the first place. Perhaps the gap on the rollers in the baffle is for airflow, but not on the big roller bar behind right? I think the gaps line up with the tires. Is that the reason for their non-inclusion on the factory set-up? Thank in advance as always. Erik

The gaps may have been to avoid clogging when cutting wet grass. Yeah, I know you're not supposed to cut wet grass, but I sometimes get stuck cutting in between rain storms just to avoid a jungle situation. I have seen grass cake up on my rollers from time to time. Just a thought.

I have seen different roller spacings on different decks. I, too, have thought of filling the shaft with rollers, just to make it lift better and roll over objects that may line up with the gaps, like tree roots. I have quite a few maple roots in my lawn. If I am going crossways to the root, it doesn't scalp the top of the root, but sometimes when going lengthwise of a root it will line up with a gap in the rollers and take a big cut out of the root. Same thing with other obstacles in the lawn.

The bolt together decks on my B-1 & 700 and the one piece deck on my 725 all have full sets of rollers. On my 7013S and Sovereign Simplicity skimped on rollers. Left the middle one out beneath the deck and the end ones on the center section just like your first two pictures show. This has never caused me a problem. Think it was mainly a cost cutting means for Simplicity as are the el cheapo plastic rollers on the newer models.

On that deck you gave me It had a few wheels left. Why dont you cut one up so it fits in the space, but still lets out grass clumps and such.

On the 42" deck that I rebuilt for the Landlord I used the old arbor bearings as spacers between the rollers, it filled in the gaps. This deck gives a beautiful looking finish to the stripes.