Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Simplicity 700 Serial # 5997

SmilinSam
[img]http://img.clubphoto.com/jerboa/171088303/464/null/image.jpg[/img] Kid bought this for $250 the other day. 8 hp replacement engine on it.Fairly straight. Just needs a good cleaning and paint. Came with a 42" bolt together deck but is missing the footrest bar. With a serial # of 5997 do you think its safe to say its a 1959 vintage machine?

ehertzfeld
To figure out what year, you would have to look at the shifter, the choke, and points cover, and front wheels. Oh and also what the badge says. The first 700 was called "wonder boy 700" then they just called them 700. The first ones had a straight shifter with no remote choke on the frame. You would simply reach over to the carb and manually choke the carb. Also there was no cut out in the side of the grill to assist in removing the points cover. The front wheels also didn't have bearings, they just had bronze bushings. All these characteristics were on the first few years of 700. I believe a 1959 would have most of them. If it doesnt have any of those characteristics, it's still a great find! IMO I hope this make some sense. Elon

Karl_Brandt
Nice looking Simplicity 700 you got there. My Simplicity Wonderboy 700 was made in 1960 and is serial number 3633. The early 700's have wonderboy 700 on the elbems on the hood. I slowly restoring the tractor,most of the tractor is painted and going back together now. Just picked up my new tires today...tractor tread for the back and 3 rib for the front...just like a farm tractor.:D Karl [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url]

Chris727
Sam, I have a 700 serial # 7,548. I always guessed it to be a 1960-61. It also has an 8hp replacement engine so I can't trace the date through the motor. All the 700's have the straight shifter, short steering column, and plain bearings on the front wheels. These were not changed until the mid-production 725's. The only way I know to differentiate the 700's from early to late is by the Wonderboy emblems which only the very first tractors had, I would say any WonderBoy 700 is definitely a 1959.

HubbardRA
My 61 Wards had large needle/roller bearings in the front wheels. They look to be nearly 1/4 inch diameter and go the whole width of the inside of the wheel. They are not the newer style tapered rollers, but they are not bushings either. From the outside they look like they would be bushing type wheels, but when off the axle you can see the rollers.

Chris727
I just noticed that on the microfice Simplicity lists the 700 only as 1959 and 1960. The 725 is listed for 61. I don't know how accurate that info is but it came from the master index card where it lists the tractors by year of manufacture.