Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cab, Needed Or Not.

MarksA-C

Well, One thing down, coming to another. Do I need a cab? I myself would like one but I cant even afford a used one. Is it posible to make your own wooden cab? I dont have metal tools but I have wood tools. I have already measured, drawn up pictures and looked at what I have. Would having a heavier cab help compensate for no wheel weights? From what I've been told, Wood would also help keep heat in the cab. So it seens a little better that a canvas cab. What do you all say? Oh, and sorry for all the questions.

you really remind me of me a year ago. I wanted every possible implement I could get my hands on....pretty soon I had two of everything. Includings cabs. I already promised Elon 3/4's of my spare cab, but you are welcome to come over and take a look at all the pieces you will need. I like the idea of a wodden cab, but storage sounds like a nightmare. There are a lot of cool cabs on here if you look in the archives...Maynards is my favorite, but there are yellow ones, Black ones, White ones, hard cabs, and at least one phenomenal homeade hardshell cab that I recall - unbelievable craftsmanship! I have some manuals too that I can PDF on Monday and send to you. I have never used a cab and frankly, the last several winters we wouldn't need to....

Sometimes in order to justify a cab, you must work the tractor a year or so without one in the cold and wind to be able to appreciate one. On a side note, till you've sharpened your skills on upkeep and maint. and gained some experiance with what the tractors capable of I'd forget the home-made extra's untill you've mastered the basics. This way you can determine if the tractor you have now isn't right for you or your tasks then you can upgrade in due time and not loose all the effort put into "extra's". Just an observation and my 2 cents worth.

Well, I'll brave this winter in my surplus army gear. You gotta love the old army stuff. Its a 1 piece full body 'jump suite' with a wool inside. I also have the Gloves and Hat to go with it. I think with a set of Ski-goggles and a face mask, I'll be fine. Boy Scouts did help! Just I hope I never have to use my First-aid skills I learned.

In my own searches and polls, I would say that the members here are split 50/50 on whether or not they prefer cabs or mother nature. Upside and downsides to both....but for the life of me, I don't know why Marty (MPH) does not have a snow cab in Alaska!!!

I started off without a cab and no snowblowing experiance...and I ended up without a cab and some experiance, LOL I think alot of people thing they have to blow the snow to the moon...thats what I thought..You will find that if you experment a little with the shoot and DONT blow the snow towards the wind its not all that bad..First couple times I run the blower I think I had more snow on me than on the ground LOL..If you tilt the shoot down so it blows out away from you instead of way up in the air it helps keep the snow from blowing around so much..I found that for no more than I need the blower the cab was more of a pain mounting, taking off and storage..I ended up useing a dedicated cab tractor and found that the tractor was sitting 98% of the year.. Also another tip is...if you have a gravel drive be carful where you aim the shoot as it will pick up rocks..so don't aim at others,windows or cars ect. Have fun with it and most of all be carefull..

I use a poor mans cab - A snowmobile helmet. With visor down, I am fine. I usually keep the visor up a click for some fresh air and less fogging up.

Mark, I too believe that you should experience blowing with out a cab, just once, that is all it will take:D. You do have another choice if you have an imagination and some one with sewing ability. A few years back I bought a walk behind snow cab. I cut the front piece out to hug the hood of a tractor. I had mine on my old Broadmoor. It worked great for that. But I have not gotten to fitting it on a large framed tractor yet. I'm hoping to get to it this fall. I have see similar one on Ebay that were fairly cheep.

Elon

i used a cab for about 3 times blowing. i hated it, i'd rather get the carharts on and a hat and gloves on. now i have a simplicity cab tucked up in the rafters of the garage and it will never be used again. i'm debating on keeping it or not, just a waste of space.

I have used the blower several years without the cab and several with it, my biggest gripe is in storing the cab, and mounting it each year without damage to the paint. I have finally got a system down for installing it and storing it, so as of last year the hour or so to mount it up was worth it as it was used several times. I can't imagine how you would store and mount a heavier wood cab.

the wood one? I had it planned to be bolted together. So take the bolts out, and it 'falls' flat. It would fit nicely in my garage. To mount it I have 2 really nice friends. To get them to help me all I have to do is ave Video games ready and a 12pk of MT.Dew. But, from what you all have told me I will try a few snow blowings this winter without a cab. See if I like it, or hate it. I was also wondering if anyone thinks this will fit a 610? [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/BOLENS-SNOW-CAB-FOR-TUBE-FRAME-TRACTOR_W0QQitemZ330028840597QQihZ014QQcategoryZ88437QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Actually, a wooden cab would be much easier to store and mount if it were made in 5 pieces that joined with hinge pins (clevis pins). Propper lapping of the joints would eliminate the risk of snow blowing in. The sides can even have "doors" to get in and out of. Think about Henry Ford......What did he make the Model A out of?????? The Crates his metal parts were shipped in were used for the upper frames of the whole car, door frames and supports and even on the earlier seat rails, much like drawer runners of old dressers. I think a wooden cab that assembles in 5 pieces, four sides and top, would store as easily as a card table with it's legs folded up. A lexan glass wind shield, side windows and back glass with a donor wiper motor from a jeep that mounts to the top of the front rail would keep the snow cleared and the lexan would resist scratching if debris gut under the wiper blade. Each side pannel would not weigh more than 20 lbs and they would be the heaviest pieces. Make the frame from 1x2 clear aspen and rabbit out to set the glass and 1/4 inch plywood then finish nail with 3/8ths inch brads and some gorilla glue. A good deck sealer will protect the wood from the rain and snow and other elements. Here's a little trick for spraying the sealer, get a 7 dollar plant sprayer, the kind you pump up, and spray on the sealer with that, inside and out. I would do this before taking the protective film off the lexan. 1/8th inch foam door sealer for paint contact points and the door seals should keep the rattles down to a minimum as well as the cold. Just my view.... Sean

Thats what I was planning on doing. Exept, all I could find was a Cylender for a hatchback. So do you know what that means? GULL WING DOOR(S)!!!

quote:
Originally posted by MarksA-C
I was also wondering if anyone thinks this will fit a 610? http://cgi.ebay.com/BOLENS-SNOW-CAB-FOR-TUBE-FRAME-TRACTOR_W0QQitemZ330028840597QQihZ014QQcategoryZ88437QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Mark if I could make an old Sears cab fir on my 64 LL, then with a little ingenuity, I'm sure you could. [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/cab.jpg[/img] Elon

First I'm going to try Without a cab. But I'm going to make a cheap, try-out cab. It should work properly and it will be out of canvas and steel tubing.