Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
mikeg75

BGB fluid level, hydro check valves

mikeg75
Hello again. Please bear with me, I have a few more "newbie" questions: *edit* (this is a 917H tractor) I finally changed my hydro fluid and filter tonight - it only took maybe 2 1/2 qts, including what I put in the filter. The oil started draining out of the fill pipe. Does this seem like too little? I think it is rated at 96 ozs. If you recall, my check valves are frozen currently. According to the manual, I am to fully depress the free wheel latch (and check valves) before changing fluid. Since I couldn't push them down, is some fluid trapped? I just don't want to overfill the trans.... Also, I decided to check the BGB fluid, since I haven't owned it for long. The fluid wasn't touching the dipstick, so I added a glug or two of hydraulic oil. The fluid is now 3/8" or maybe 1/2" up on the dipstick. Is this "overfilled", as the manual warns against? Thanks in advance.

D-17_Dave
I'm not sure what the total capacity is for that model (without consulting a manual) but whatever the max. capacity is that would be if you could drain all the old oil out. So a slight variation depending on what oil is left trapped in the pump and so fourth could change the total amount you out back in. Bottum line is if it's overfull due to the heat exspanding the oil and such is OK. As long as it soon stops comeing out. Did I make any scence here, I'm really tired so I may ramble tonight some.:o)

mikeg75
Dave- Thanks for the reply. I let the overfilled trans. oil drain for maybe 10 mins. out of the fill pipe. It pretty much stopped, so I capped it. As far as the BGB oil level goes, I am not sure if it is overfilled or not. Any thoughts?

D-17_Dave
Normal level is even with the bottom of the input shaft. Some BGB's have a fill level plug just under half way up the back side plate. Fill to this level. Some later models have a dipstick in the top hole and you fill it through the top hole but they all fill to the same level. Most of this info is covered in the owner's manual.

firefoxz1
I dont recall it saying anything about the freewheel check valves when I did mine (a Simp 7112H). It did say to open the vent valve which should be above the left side axle or it was on mine, I used a clothes pin to hold mine open while draining. I do believe I got all three quarts in mine after changing the filter and running it in place, to fill the filter, then letting it settle but that was a while ago.