Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Look what I broke today

GWGAllisfan

Was mowing along yesterday with the 712 when I heard an odd sound, looked down and found the belt was off the right side spindle. Tried to put it back and found this.

I didn't realize until I had removed it that this wasn't a correct pulley. The one that was on there was an off the shelf part, not OEM, so it sat high. The man I got it from had said he had trouble with belts running off so maybe that was why. I was fortunate that I had a new pulley from a deck restore project that wasn't really proceeding so I was able to put it on and finish the mowing.

What a bummer. How did the belt fair? Atleast you know it's right now and what the problem was. Always glad to hear when something goes wrong and we (spare parts collectors) can just go get the part from the shed, fix and keep on rolling. Now I can show my wife this and justify what I have laying around again.

Way to go on the fast repair. Looks like it's been on there for awhile with the rust damage. Might be time to hurry up on the other deck repair.

Firefox: The belt survived, it shows signs of being rolled over, but it will last through the season I hope. Only about 6 more weeks of grass. I have a new belt for it already Dave: There was some serious corrsion on the pulley, but the deck underneath was clear. With it running crooked, it really wore the pully on one side only, which doesn't really show well in the pictures. Matt: yes the parts arrived 9-8. Thanks