Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-112 pto adjustment

Scott Salmons

I have been working on the mid pto for 2 days and cannot seem to get it to work correctly. It does not seem to break over so that it will stay engaged. I have the mower deck on to load the belt and the rear tensioner spring engaged. I have disassembled the pto and found no apparent problem. I have tried it without and with the pto belt. I have set the spring to guard bracket distance of 3/4" on the locking collar. I even have tried to bend the shaft that the spring runs through to try to make it work. I know that the use of a simplicity belt makes a difference however I can't get it to engage and stay engaged even with no belt. Anyone know what I talking about??:(!

It's very important that both the pto belts be correct for any given deck. If somewhere along it's life the deck has been changed or the pullie sizes altered this will change the placement of the shaft to spring dimentions causeing al kinds of belt related problems.

I mowed with a B112 for several years. Even with correct belts and pulleys it was always stubborn. You just had to know its limitations.

I have replaced both belts, with the belts specified by the charts, and the deck is original with the original pulley. It seems like the pto just will not break over. I am not sure about the tensioning rod that runs through the spring maybe it is bent? Is the rod different on the B-112? It is not straight like the others that I have. I sure do like the electric clutch on the 9020!! I remember years ago having a Big 10 and it was always a pain getting the adjustment right.

The cam-over rods used on these tractors were the same as far as I remember. Might want to swap one off another tractor just to compare the results.

Thanks Dave and all! Tommorow I will try straightening the "cam over rod" hopefully that will get me past the folcrum point. I just thought that the newer tractor had been changed.

Carefull, I never said they were straight.lol I seem to recall a bend in all mine and they look the same. As a matter of fact I'm almost sure they all have a bend but just don't know to what degree. Anyway's, good luck. I'm sure you'll get it worked out.

When I used to mow with my 61 Wards (Simp 700) I had problems with the over-center latch also. I ended up bending the rod slightly to make it stay engaged. Yours may have been modified by someone, like me, and now it doesn't work properly. Those old style PTO units had some problems. I know that some of them like to throw the belt off if they are disengaged too quickly. Maybe that is why they were eventually replaced with the cone clutch type PTOs. I have those on my RBTs and they don't seem to have as many problems as the older belt clutch types.

Even though this tractor is for use I want to keep it somewhat original. All i have is FDT's and have had no experience with the cone clutch. Is this a difficult conversion?

I think there would be several major issues with converting to a cone clutch - hopefully some others will confirm: Cone clutches are set up for 7/8" BGB shafts, so either a gear box change or bushing the cone clutch parts would be required. The left side plate has mounting ears for the cone clutch pivot bolts, so a change of side plates or welding suitable mounting ears would be required. The cone clutch driver pulley is bigger in diameter so the driven pulley on the mower deck should be changed out to the larger size to prevent blade overspeed.

I guess my previous statement has confused the issue. I shouldn't have made it, since it does nothing to solve the problem. I was only stating that the known recurring problems with the belt clutch system on the older tractors were most likely a primary reason why Simplicity later changed the mid PTO to a cone clutch arrangement. I was not suggesting that the tractor be converted to a cone clutch. The cone clutch is not a retro-fit for the belt clutch, and conversion is much more trouble than it is worth on this style of chassis. I definitely would not recommend it.

Don't understand why some folks have problems with the PTO on the older FDT tractors. Have never had a serious problem with my B-1 or 725 PTO's. Had to straighten the engagement rod a few times, adjust the spring occasionally, and replace the belt every so many years but the PTO has basically been reliable and trouble free. Plus, there is no horrible screech when engaging attachments like the cone clutch. Scott, don't know why you're having problems with yours. Are you sure you have the correct PTO lever spring and it is the correct length? Sorry I cannot be more help.