Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis chalmers B112 axle tubes

Mat Perucci

I was pulling a trailer full of fieldstone up a hill and i heard a loud snap and the motor started to get worked over so i shut it down looked down at the rear end and saw that the axle tube was cracked wide open all the way around has this happened to anybody? and how do i fix this?

Mat, It has happened to a few club members when they overextended their tractor. They're 35-45 year old machines. From what I've read, it looks like the only repair solution is to replace it.

Been there done that. Ouch! Yuo have 2 options from where Isee it, 1) replace the transaxle with another complete unit (saves lots of time but unless the transaxle is identicle in function {3sp to 3sp, shuttle to shuttle variable to variable} to the unit it's replacing it gets tricky. 2) Repair the current transaxle which entails removal and disassembly and replacement of the axle tube. Which course you choose is entirely up to you and also depends on how much money you have, how time you have and how much skill you have. Within the last month or so I did the same thing to one of my tractors, I couldn't come up with a good replacement unit so I raided 2 spare units to come up with the parts I needed to repair the original transmission which in my case also had a bent input shaft (before snapping the axle tube and from what I have no idea) as well as buying the required seals and gaskets for about $40 or so. As a side note in the end I ended up cutting the axle tube with my sawsall to get it out of the case, kinda extreme but between it being broken and flared that was all I could do save using a different trans case half. Good luck whatever it is you decide to do to it!