Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Mat Perucci

Broken axle tube pics

Ouch. That looks like a bad day. I've gotten more conservative with my machines lately. That picture helps.

Ketchamized
Ouch. What a bummer... Thank you for sharing that with us. I'll definitely take it easy with my tractor after seeing that. It does surprise me though. I have seen a picture of a guy pulling a large size speedboat with his B-110. Must've been a combination of the stress, the flat tire/lack of washer at cart axle, lack of transmission fluid?, and speed/jerkiness?

Tom_Byrne
MY TWO CENTS: Tough break(excuse the pun). I'm not saying I'm right, this is the reason I was always a little paranoid about really pushing or over-working my tractors, if you want to call it that. I always had it in the back of my head that this is a forty year old machine, and no matter how little use it's had you still get metal fatigue. Thats why I never used AG's, filled the tires or loaded lots of weight across the back.

Ketchamized
It's too late to repair that- it'd have to be replaced- But I was thinking, would it make any difference if someone got some steel pipes- strong & thick ones- cut them in half (vertically) and welded it onto a good axle? Would it help prevent this from happening?

rjgoth
Hello all, I had a broken axle tube from my Landlord, mine wasnt completely broken off, but rather it had a fairly significan crack in it. My father is a machinist, so I showed him the axle tube and what happened to it, and he said that he could make me another one that would never break. I have attached two photos showing the old one and the new one. Please note the inner wall thickness of the new one is about a 1/4" (1/8" per side) thicker that the original (see end view picture). Also the material of the new tube is 4140 steel, which is a much tougher steel than that of the mild steel variety of the origial tube. My suggestion is to take the old tube to a machine shop, and tell them what you want to do and what material youd like to use... perhaps they could suggest a suitable material. Ryan [img]/club2/attach/rjgoth/P9181363%20%28Medium%29.JPG[/img] [img]/club2/attach/rjgoth/P9181364%20%28Medium%29.JPG[/img]

Mat Perucci
Great info and suggestions keep em coming. Im not sure how im going to repair it yet but I guarantee that this tractor will be driving around again soon well before the first snowfall at least..