Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Assembly of parts

dorise

Now that I have some newly painted parts how do I assemble them together without scratching the paint? Then do you put primer and paint on the new bolts and nuts after they are in place or just do a touch up job on the whole tractor again when it's assembled? With all the time and money spent so far I don't want to mess it up. Does it sound logical to use a small paint brush to touch up the bolts and etc. without any hardener or mix with hardener in very small batches? This is my first restoration of this kind of thing and you guys are the only ones I have to ask that do not seem to take many shortcuts. Thanks again.

Don't think the factory paints the fasteners. I wouldn't paint the them unless I painted them black, silver, or chrome. Or, you could use new cadium plated, stainless steel, or chrome fasteners if the cost isn't prohibitive. My opinion and you know how they are.

When I helped a friend, we put small washers that were about the same size as the head on first. That stoped the nut/blots from scratching the new paint.

Thanks guys. I didn't recall any paint on them when I tore it apart but thought over the years it may have came off. I think stainless would look great but cost wise???.If I have gone this far why not? I forgot to ask in the last post, but do any of you know what if the push nuts on the lift handle was cadium, galvanized or what? I could get them chromed. I want this tractor as close to original as I can do it but still want it to look nice for a long time too. I need to purchase the new hardware anyway. I look at my pile of parts and want to start today but I have more needed things to do like canning, cutting wood, mowing lawns and etc. No hubby here to do the outside work, but I like being outside.

An easy way to avoid scratching the paint is to lightly brush some white grease onto the back sides of washers and anything that rubs the paint. It is not 100% effective but it helps. It will also help prevent bolts from freezing up. Another thing you can do is buy nylon washers to go underneath the metal ones, so they are sandwhiched between the two surfaces, the nylon are a little bit easier on the paint. Most hardware stores should have an assortment of nylon hardware available. These tractors were designed to scratch just from opening the hoods and moving parts around, On my 700 I used some of the black door edge proctecting strip sold for automobiles, I just put it around the edge of the dash, this will protect the rear of the hood from scratches. Even with these precautions chips and scratches can still occur. These are just a few of my methods.

It's a tractor man, don't get me wrong I want to keep things as good looking as posible but some things are meant to be used. Always flames me to see these urban hillbillys with there big SUV's and pickups that will never ever see a dirt road or a tree up close. My truck bed scratches are a badge of Honor!!!!:D:D:D Blood in the back of the bed from a deer, Feathers from a bird. all add character. Now on the tractor front. place the bolt on tighter up & touch up. We all have our pride and joy , and I will never flame another on there pride. but do me a favor rub a little dirt on it now and then , the machine has a soul and I know my soveriegn is happiest when it is doing what it is intended to do , WORK.... Good lick with the build up and sorry to ramble on , post some pics when it is finished. Enjoy the project

Dorise, First off, what you have done so far is totaly awsome. There are some folks here that have done show quality restros. Maybe some of them will jump in with some tips too (dlcentral is one that comes to mind). But I think I'd go with new plated hardware and the nylon washers;). BTW, if interested in veggie gardening, you might enjoy this thread [url]http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=19413&page=1&pp=15[/url]