Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Hribar

Kohler ignition

Ronald Hribar
Is it possible to eliminate the points on a Kohler and retain the coil ? JD did not want to start again. Point cover is not easy to get to. If I can elimate the points, What module should i buy?

Ronald Hribar
yes I have 12volt car type coil. I was thinking that I read about a module that somehow sensed correct timing. I was looking for a electronic trigger to replace points. I'll have to look more closely at present system.

BLT
Ron, battery powered electronic igitions have some sort of reference point to get spark going to the correct cylinders, or timing. Somewhere there is a transmitter and sensor to tell the electronics where number one cylinder is. Whether it be one or multible cylinders, the theory is the same. With magneto systems, that might already built into flywheel and that is only a guess but close to the right track or Kohler would be still using automotive coils. If there is an after market device ask the person on how the igition is timed to the engine..