Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Question about AC 720 transmission oil.

ac190

Yeeha! I just got an AC 720 less than a week ago with a 5 foot front blade and 57 inch sickle mower (no belly mower). I am replacing fluids and noticed the 720 operators manual said use AC 322 fluid or ATF type A for the transmission. Since type A ATF isn't available I am curious if the new ATF fluids are compatible. Great tractor! I got it in Georgia and Ryder trucked it home. I got it running (had to clean the points) and drove it out of the truck. I am looking forward to a serious Colorado snowstorm so I can test the blade. I have an AC 190 tractor as well, the 720's big brother. Jim

JR. Thanks for your reply. I am curious about the two types of ATF (maybe 3) that I see in the stores. The first is Dexron III, then Type F, and (I think) I also saw a Type FA. Is any one of these closer to the older Type A?

The different types of automatic transmission oil have different viscosities. Type F is for Fords. I think it is stiffer (thicker) than Type A or Dexron as I best remember. Stay within the same type and you should be OK. Roy

The newer transmission fluids should supercede the old ones and be compatible. I am running Dexron III in my 3212H and it has been doing ok. The newer fluids are just upgraded and each time they come out they should be able to be used to replace the older ones. It's the same case with motor oil. Say for instance you use Havoline 30 HD type C, Then a type CD will replace the C. Then a type CF will replace the type CD.

Whatever you use, add a bottle or two (depending on fluid capacity) of LUBEGARD. NOT DURALUBE!!! This stuff has a newly developed (last 3 years) synthetic sperm whale oil. It was not until whale oil became unavailable that xmission fluids had to be changed periodically. The whale oil did not break down when heated, unlike ATF and was good for the life of the vehicle. I use DURALUBE it in all ATF applications. Just about ALL tranny re-manufacturers add it to every unit that leaves their shop. I buy mine at NAPA. ONE MORE TIME: NOT DURALUBE!!! NOT DURALUBE!!!! I REPEAT: NOT DURALUBE!! BTW, Ford type F allowed the tranny clutch bands to slip, for a smooth shift (and more heat generated). To get the old GM Hydromatic "wham bam thank you Ma'am" shift preferred by "enthusiasts" they replaced the type F with Dexron II in FOMOCO trannies.

• 2 weeks later...
Dex3 works well in trans.I use it in my 720 and change it every year.Change filter at same time.Fram PH16 filter fits 620,720 and a few others.Follow manual for procedure.