Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Time to run - Wanted Junk Tractor Ads

SmilinSam
1st week of 8 weeks of ads and already got: Yardman with busted hood 20hp Kohler MAgnum, 54" or 60" deck, hydrogear Wheel Horse 1257 Case 220 hyd drive hyd lift. Like new paint. Blown engine. Looks like people are getting in the mood to clean out their garages for winter...

A school boy came in my shop the other day wanting a job, I told him the season is slowing down and I'm not looking at hiring. He came back the next day with this deal, We run an ad in the paper to pick up unwanted equipment for free, use his truck, my trailer, my shop , most of his tools, and part out everything 50/50. So far he has picked up 5 Murrays, 3 MTDs, 2 old sears, 1 craftsman, 1 Toro, 1 Cub cadet, and has several pickups next week. Its a good learning experince for him, I'm teaching him how to inventory parts, how to manage his money, etc. I also told him we will do this as longs it does not effect his school work, his mother came in and asked what I've done to her son, I thought she was mad, then she told me he has went from b,c,ds to a,bs. She also told me he has not asked her for spending money in the past 2 weeks.

dirtsaver
Matt that's the kind of thing this is all about! I'm proud of your efforts with this young fellow. Wether he continues in something like this or goes on to college you both will gain from the experience. Who knows, you may end up with him as a partner and expanding the business.

Jonathan, the school boy, has checked out all of the small engine repair books. And now is taking a buisness class at school. His mother told me all he did was play video games and stay out all hours of the night and stay grounded. (I never was grounded, we had a wood shed,LOL) Now he is home by 9:00 every night, reading his repair books and parts catalogs and planning his pickups. I told him not to get burned out too quick. Last friday he had a school dance, on his way to pick up his date, he spotted a tractor, stopped and talked to the owner about it, and he was 10 min late, the girl got mad, but he explained to her thats how he pays for things. She understood because she t has a job too. By the way, he got the Cub Cadet, and sold it at the dance to a teacher. All he had to do was deliver it to the teachers house. He made his gas money, ticket money, photo money, dinner money, plus extra.

My days change from week to week, because of my EMS job.Maybe we can meet at Expo. I actually do alot of sales out side of the shop. Oregon bar and chains are the big sellers right now. I have turned down alot of repairs since I've had this illness (I take 21, no make that 22 pills a day!). I just help Jon take apart equipment when I feel good. I'm only 26, so I still have plenty of time for this, and most guys don't build up a buisness like this, (unless they are born into it), until they are 40+. Jon says hi, He is a Murray man(for now), because he has made good money off them so far. But he has really taking a liking to the Big Ten. He is slowly being converted. Jon picked up 3 murrays, 1 mtd, 1 john deere today, between the heavy rain showers. 328

shanhamm
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Sounds like the kid has motivation. Hard to find that these days in alot of kids.
hey now, i consider myself a kid yet, maybe an old kid8D only 27, and bust my but at everything.:I

AGCO918
Very Nice story.Great that you can help a kid out & might be your friend for life.When i was growing up i stayed out of trouble by reading up on tractor books & studied tractor sales literature which i have a pretty good collection of now.I watched the farmers in their fields working ground & harvesting in the fall.

mowerman1193
I have always wanted to place one of these ads but never got around to it..Seems like you guys that do this do pretty well with it..I may have to make a go at it in the spring..

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
I have always wanted to place one of these ads but never got around to it..Seems like you guys that do this do pretty well with it..I may have to make a go at it in the spring..
Got 4 MTD's from one guy Thursday and a newer(around 5-8 years old or so) Walk behind Toro two stage Snowblower tonight with a bad carb. 7 more weeks to go....

We picked up 2 craftsman, 1 murray, 1 statesman (mtd) today. Jon took the day off to go "courtin'" his girlfriend, so my 5 yr old son went with me. The other day a customer called and I was busy, so I told Mike (my son) to answer the phone, "Vice sales & service, please hold" He says "Vice Sales & Service, how can I help you?" So this guy starts to tell him what he needs, then Mike said "Mr. slow down, I'm only 5, one part at a time!" By then I took over the call and sent Mike to take boxes outside. Kids you got to love them! The guy on the phone got a big laugh, and still ordered his parts, and said he would ask for Mike next time he calls and that I should read about child labor laws. I guess I need to call it Vice and Son and Jonathan Sales & Service...LOL....LOL.

perry
my son is 4 and already following in my foot steps in the land of tractors. great to get the kids involed..have a good one.
quote:
Originally posted by 328
We picked up 2 craftsman, 1 murray, 1 statesman (mtd) today. Jon took the day off to go "courtin'" his girlfriend, so my 5 yr old son went with me. The other day a customer called and I was busy, so I told Mike (my son) to answer the phone, "Vice sales & service, please hold" He says "Vice Sales & Service, how can I help you?" So this guy starts to tell him what he needs, then Mike said "Mr. slow down, I'm only 5, one part at a time!" By then I took over the call and sent Mike to take boxes outside. Kids you got to love them! The guy on the phone got a big laugh, and still ordered his parts, and said he would ask for Mike next time he calls and that I should read about child labor laws. I guess I need to call it Vice and Son and Jonathan Sales & Service...LOL....LOL.