Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shade tree machanic carburetor fix.

Kent

Hi Tim, the 3212H I bought a while back was also missing the plug when I got it. But the owner just took a peice of rubber from an tire tube and cut it kinda round held it over the tube and used a heater hose clamp to hold it in place and he said it had been that way for years. My fix was to go to the hardware and purchase a rubber expanding plug used in boats as a drain plug. I just inserted it into the tube and tightened it up untill it was snug. Works great-Thanks Jackl

Tim, Your fix sounds good, who says you telephone guys don't know anything! Very ingenious, it makes my tape up a 2 liter bottle cap /shove it in the hole trick look amateur! Regards , dlc ps I see you musta made it home!

Jack, Same principal, but my hardware store was closed on Sunday. Dave, Yea, I made it home. Thanks for the pizza and say hey to your boys for me.

Let me tell you about a shade-tree mechanic fix I did on my carburetor some years ago. I went out and started the B12 up to mow the lawn and noticed that the disc plug was missing from the end of the carburetor tube. I didn't want to mow the lawn with the air going straight into the carburetor and by-passing the filter and of coarse this happened on a Sunday when the dealer is closed. Well I found a fender washer that fit right in where the plug had been but it wouldn't stay in. So I found a rubber bushing that would just slip into the tube. I then found another fender washer that would slip into the tube. I took a bolt and slipped on the smaller washer, the bushing, and the bigger washer. I slipped the end with the small washer into the tube and pushed it in until the bigger washer slipped into the grove for the plug. I then tightened the bolt spreading the bushing out until it fit tight in the tube. The tube is long enough that this doesn't interfere with air flow through the carburetor. When I had the carburetor rebuilt last year the Simplicity mechanic left it in and said that it was a better design than the original. He also said that it was not uncommon for the plugs to fall out. So if anyone finds themselves in this situation you might try my shade-tree mechanic fix, it works. Tim