Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
quantico

snowblower that fits my deutz allis 1816V Sigma ?

quantico
First of all thanks to the folks that gave me lots of info on the eaton 850 transaxle and how to handle that issue. I purchased a second tractor and did a transmission swap that has been great so far. Nothing like having two tractors hanging in your garage at a time. I actually found a brand new eaton 850 transaxle that I purchased for a future use. I now have a 42 inch mowing deck working and will likely try to service the spindles that don't seem to be taking in any grease thru the zerks at this time. I have a 48 inch deck as well fully assembled that can be used if the first one is not great , or maybe if parts are needed. I have never serviced a deck, so I have a lot to learn. In the mean time I am looking for a snowblower unit that fits this tractor, I think they used 36 and 42 inch units, but am not positive how to go about finding the correct mount / and blower and what the numbers are... Here are the vitals on my tractor 1816V Sigma deutz allis / 16 hp briggs vanguard 1691769 simplicity number 1815H listed as model publish date on books that came with tractor 3/89 I would appreciate any info that anyone has. I also would love some advise on what parts to save on the other tractor and what is just junk. The engine ran fine when I bought it, but it seems to have no spark now .The older doner tractor has a briggs opposed twin engine. Is there any use for the frame ? So far I have saved the deck and sheet metal for the hood and rear seat assembly. I am keeping the bad eaton 850 in tact for the parts to convert the new transaxle if needed. The deutz 1816V is not my dream tractor, but having it running will allow me to start working on my sunstar and maybe another large frame machine some day. Thanks Scott

quantico
I called simplicity today and the service dept helped me out with the numbers that fit... thanks much. Is there any big advantage between the 36 and 42 inch model ??? they seem very close in size.

Ketchamized
Quantico, Differences between the 36 and 42 inch model, not sure if either is better than the other. But here's my rational thinking: The 42" model is 6 inches wider- so for every forward and back pass, you get 1 foot more removed. So, it would cut off significantly more time if you had a wide/long driveway. On the other hand, a 42" blower probably is more heavier than a 36" due to more material. This means less traction on the rear wheels, more rear wheel weights would be required. If you have a narrow sidewalk, it might not fit, or it may damage the lawn on either side of the sidewalk. A 42" probably would put more stress on the engine, since more snow material is being removed and pushed out the chute. So, I guess it would come down to these things: 1) Which model is better designed? Compare them.. 2) Which model is more durable? 3) Which model is lighter? Is it NOTICEABLY lighter, or just a little? 4) Which model requires less maintenance? 5) Which model best fits your driveway/sidewalk? 6) Do you have a lot of storage space? 7) Can you physically lift/mount the blower onto the tractor by yourself? Do you have help to do that every winter? 8) How much snow do you get? How often will you use it? If you get more than 4 feet deep often, you might want to go for the 42". That's my rationale, at least. I can't make an educated guess based on specific models, etc... Since I haven't been able to put a basis of comparsion. I own a 36" snowblower attachment for my B-210, and it works great. Removes plenty of snow. The only definite advice I can give you is to go for the 1-belt models. There are some models that has 3 belts. Those 3-belt snowblowers require lot more maintenance and isn't as effective as the 1-belt model.

quantico
I will likely go for the 36 inch model based on your well thought out logic. My driveway is not that large, and will be done pretty quickly in any case. My sidewalks are 36 inch so the smaller blower should allow me to use the tractor to do them. I was planning on using a walk behind for the sidewalk, and using the tractor for my driveway and a neighbor or two. The area out near the mailbox is subject to lots of drifting and tends to be where the plow deposits lots of the stray snow from the area at the edge of my driveway. I live across the street from a park and on a circular drive with strange shapes everywhere. This makes a tough spot for the plow truck drivers. They typically leave me a huge mess. I will look for a one belt model if possible. I did not know that there are multiple belt versions. Thanks for the heads up.

Ketchamized
Scott, A pleasure. Ebay is a great way to get a cheap priced one. There's also the classifieds here. I know what you mean by ending up with a mess at the end of the driveway. I live on a 1-way street, and this happens to me every time they plow the street. Often, we have to leave the house in a hurry only to find out that we have to clear the driveway first. The 3-belt model is typically an older model. Not sure if they still make them in the newer models. UCD (Maynard) would know this... Some older models are interchangeable with newer tractors such as yours. But some are not interchangeable, so watch out for that too. :) Good luck with your snowblower search.