Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

UPDATE on the barn fresh gilson/wards

perry

ok here is what i picked up last night. it was dark, they are not hydro's. the first one is a MONTGOMERY WARDS 14 VARIABLE SPEED model# GIL- 33030A. the second one is a WARDS GARDEN MARK SQUIRE 12 VARIABLE SPEED. model# GIS-33030A. sickle bar model# HMN NO 10474 HABAN MFG. CO. RACINE,WISC USA the sickle bar doesent look like it will fit my landlord 2010.

You can probably sell the Haban mower for enough to get a Simplicity mower. Those old Gilsons are heavy, I have one with a tiller I've been trying to sell, Heaviest tiller I've even seen on a garden tractor. The strange thing about these tractors is the oil pan is built into the front axle.

WOW! your not kidding on how heavy theese buggers are. i got a tiller, 2 decks, sickle bar, garden plow, disc and 2 tractors. them darn decks where as heavy as the tractors. what a load that was. i havent yet had time to look theese over to good . that seems wierd with the oil pan built in. is that model 14 a 14hp briggs?. also anybody with some more good info on theese would be helpfull. cant wait to pay my dues and join the club for real{soon}. thanks all

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GilsonCollectors/ Lots of info here. Gilsons are waaaaayyyy overengineered.Nice tractors,though.

I'll ditto what Kenny said about the yahoo group. That seems to be the place to get any info on the Gilsons. A friend of mine is big into them and I have 3 myself. The one behind my 5212.5 is a mid 70s S-18 that I fitted with the hood and lights (painted simp white w/ corporate orange lights) from the '70 S-14 I scrapped (from last years Tractor Eyesight Test post). For $25 I got the tractor, deck, plow, weights and chain plus the 3 point hitch. Its a hydro with a hydro lift. It's that heavy that by removing the plow blade, I can drive up to the rear hitch hole of a dead tractor, drop the pin in and lift it and tow it around the yard. Got it cheap because it wouldnt run. The choke cable was frozen in the closed position. I did learn about the oil pan when I disassembled the S-14 and the engine came out without the pan. Odd setup [IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/Mowbility/shop2.jpg[/IMG]

I have a 15HP gear drive model with hydraulic lift. I've also had several 12HP models with both gear and hydrostatic drive. They are heavy tractors. It's a pain in the butt to replace the starter/generator belt. The frames also tend to get cracks a few inches back from flywheel end of the engine.