Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
JJ MARSHALL

ADJUSTING MOWING DECKS

JJ MARSHALL
[img]/club2/attach/jj marshall/deck stands.jpg[/img] I made this stand a few years ago to adjust the deck before before i put them under the tractor made it a lot easyer then trying to ajust it when already on the tractor. This is hook to the front of the deck with the same type of pins that you would mount the deck to the tractor with. The rear of deck remains on ground or flat surface. Measure from ground or flat surface up to where the pins would mount the front of deck to the tractor. Then i would use a 2x4 or brick under the stand to get it the same height as the mounting holes on tractor. Then i would adjust the cutting height on the front of the deck and then the rear. The rear should be about 1/8 or 1/4 lower then the front.

Simpleton7016
That is a darn good idea! You might thing about making up a dozen or so of these and selling them. I would probably buy one. Kudos! On a side note, Brian and I have been beating this deck "adjustment" topic to death. I actually got mine completed and gave 'er a whirl tonight. It worked great and I have it level....but I have decided that I am, in fact going to go with a 3 inch drive pulley. I have it installed....I just need to go get a different drive belt tomorrow. I also realize that perhaps the most important adjustment is the front deck height. Everything else is measured from that height....so I am going to raise mine to about 2 and a half inches from its' current 2 inches. Your contraption would be perfect for that!

BigSix
Simpleton7016: Re:
quote:
....so I am going to raise mine to about 2 and a half inches from its' current 2 inches. Your contraption would be perfect for that!
I don't recall what model tractor or year/style deck you have, but I found that when I attempted to raise my 42" deck (under my 2110 Landlord) to much more than about 3.5", the drive belt rubbed on the bail which supports the deck. (You won't know it until your eyes tear from the smoke--or you smell the hot belt). Not sure if this will happen, but you should be on the lookout, so you don't cook your belt. Good luck--lemme know? Big Six

BrianP
That really is a great idea! I'd probably get in line right behind Erik. Imagine, setting up your deck THEN mounting it under your machine. If you can't make some up to sell to the members, how about a set of plans or measurements?

JJ MARSHALL
this bracket is 11 inchs wide from outside to outside of the 1 inch tubing that i used for the towers . i used 2 pieces of 1 1/2 angle iron 10 inchs long on the outside of the towers at bottom, i also used a piece of angle across the middle to joint the towers together keep everthing flat on bottom. i drill a hole in each tower for the 2 pins. then took a die grinder and cut out for the 2 arm for the rocker arms tto set in and swing free. IF were going to make another 1 would make the 2 towers adjustable then you could slide it under the tractor hook the 2 pin and then lower the bottom down to the ground or flat surface and lock it down. then you could remove and have the right height . would not have use anything under the bracket to get the right height. JJ

JeffNemes
Simplicity actually made one similiar (back in the 60's - 70's?) but with multiple holes on each side to match the different heights for the Serf, Yoeman, Broadmoor and Landlord series. It was great because you could level the customer's mower without the tractor.