Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tachometer hookup?

MisterB

Now that I've completed my magneto to battery ignition conversion, I need to install new points and fine tune the carb. I've installed points in this machine before (1978/7014S) but wanted to ask for advice on the best method to use to gap them. I've heard about others adjusting them while the engine is running but I'm not familiar with the process. Back in the old days, my first cars has points in them and we used a dwell meter to set them up. I'm not sure if that's possible on the single cyl briggs engines but I seem to recall that being the preferred method back then. Also, is it possible to use an automotive type tachometer to adjust idle speed? I have a digital model that has a selector for 4-6-8 cyl engines. Will this work and if so, how would I determine which scale to use? Thanks in advance! Ken

Use the 4 cyl. setting and multiply the reading by 4. this will give you the engine speed. Not that it's that critical but this method will work. As for the points dwell stting. It doesn't matter that it's a single cyl. engine, the points still work the same way. Hook the sensor wire to the - side of the coil while running and this will give you the dwell setting when selected on your meter. I think 20 thousands comes to around 47degree's on a dwell meter. If I'm remembering right.

I am going to try bookmarking this one. I also have an old meter and have wanted to to hook it up to my kohler and see what my carb without a main adjustment screw is really doing to it. Hope this bookmark works this time :-(