Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

On the fence with a Wheel horse

Rookie725

Figuratively. This person is ready to sell this tractor. Still trying to figure out whether I want it, or if it is a good buy. I am going to look at it Sat, and would appreciate any tips/feedback or knowledge re: these tractors. Cost approx $150. "The wheelhorse tractor is red, and it is a 1960's I believe. My husband, who passed away, kept this in running order but I have not turned it over in a long time. It would need to be an "as is". I am moving and have no need to have it returned to me. " Thanks! Deidra

WheelHorse used to be manufactured locally.That is,until Toro got involved,but I digress....... Wheel Horse made a quality product.Most parts are still available.You'll probably find a Tecumseh,or Kohler under the hood. I cut my teeth,so to speak,on my dad's WheelHorse 800 Special,about 1968 vintage.

I would agree, any machine made before "outsourcing" would be a good deal. Once upon a time, Bolens, Wheel Horse and others made hefty little work-horses. Simplicity may be what I collect, but I'm no "tractor snob". If I found a good deal on an older, American made unit such as you have found, I think it would be worth it.

Wheel Horse is an okay tractor. Not as heavy duty as an AC or Simplicity. I've been trying to convince a buddy of mine to get something other than his WH but he won't budge. The price sounds okay for the one your looking at so I would go for it if the engine is not locked up from sitting. Best of luck...

does it have a round hood or a square hood. model number would help. i have 8 wheel horse tractors. most from the 60's. i have no complaints on theese little buggers. the good thing is that almost all of the attachments from several different models can be interchanged from the past 30yrs.

quote:
Originally posted by Wishin2BMowin
Wheel Horse is an okay tractor. Not as heavy duty as an AC or Simplicity. I've been trying to convince a buddy of mine to get something other than his WH but he won't budge. The price sounds okay for the one your looking at so I would go for it if the engine is not locked up from sitting. Best of luck...
My opinion is they are just as heavy duty and as good if not better than Simplicity or AC. For one they dont have the bevel gear box to contend with for repairs and yet they have just as many attachments available as the older Simplicitys.Alot easier to restore and repaint too.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by Wishin2BMowin
My opinion is they are just as heavy duty and as good if not better than Simplicity or AC. For one they dont have the bevel gear box to contend with for repairs and yet they have just as many attachments available as the older Simplicitys.Alot easier to restore and repaint too.
I agree with Sam..No bevel box to mess with and no broken axle tubes either..Also (my biggest complaint with large frame Simplicity's) you don't have to pull the engine to clean out the mouse nest, LOL My cat takes care of that problem here but every one I buy seems to have the cooling fins full of mouse nest..

yep, all 3 of simplicitys/allis had the mouse nest in them. im gettin pretty good at pullin theese motors. but your right, my old horse's are definitly built tough and easy to work on. i live in the back of my 5 acre parcel with a 990ft rough, rocky,winding up hill driveway. my tractors go threw their skill test plowing snow & grading. plowing snow in my driveway will seperate the men from boys. so far i have been plowing snow with a ford lgt145 and couple of my old 60's horse's. this year im going to try my old landlord 2010. you can never have to many plows hook up around here. never no when your going to have a break down.

Not to bark up a red tree here, but working on my wheel horse has never been a chore where working on the Simplicities takes a little more effort. I love my simplicities, but before them, I was very loyal to my Wheel Horses. IH Cubs are in the same book as Simplicities in the way of mouse nest's.....Engine's gotta come out. I do enjoy the older box store mowers like the Rugg's, older MTD's and the like....so simple and easily modified. But I would never think to modify a simplicity unless it was a repower with a 16hp single from a 23D 9hp or something like that. Took the stock 8hp Briggs outa my WH 800 Special and stuck in a 16hp twin in an afternoon. Just because I had the 16hp lying around. [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/000_0001.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/000_0040.jpg[/img] had to relocate the battery and add a little iron to mount, but everything else hooked right up. [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/000_0008.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/000_0022.jpg[/img] I dont have pics yet of the H pipe stainless exhaust but they'll come soon. I say, if 150 is worth it to you then buy it.

Deidra I'm with the "pro" Wheel Horse guys here. I do not own one(all Simp/AC here) but my best friend is a WH collector and the older ones ARE built tougher than our orange/yellow tractors. At $150 you can buy it and at the worst should be able to part it out for a profit if you decide not to keep it.

My grandfather has two wheelhorse tractors- and they run & mow VERY WELL. His are '65 or '66. The body looked pretty solid to me... They're a lot of fun to drive too. I'd grab it for $150. without thinking twice.

My daughter-in-law had a 1965 Wheelhorse 'wheel-a-matic' model 1075 at her place that was outside for over ten years without being started, moved, etc. I brought it home, installed a new battery and cables and a condenser, also cleaned the carb and sanded the points. I wired every thing up to the ignition switch, checked the gas tank (no rust), added gas and cranked the 10HP Kohler over. After about 30 seconds, it started and blew all kinds of debris from the cooling fins. It has a hydro tranny and runs and moves well. Still working to rehabilitate the mower deck. This is my testimonial to Older Wheelhorses and I have four AC/Simplicity models. BTW, it sat outside in South Carolina.

Wow, Thank you all so much. My tractor buddy is also my engine guy. He is taking the time to teach me (as well as all of you) about my favorite new toys. I'm pretending this is an "investment" and will sell it in the future. We all know that won't happen. Once my friend has it running "putt putt putt putt", I won't be able to part with it. I figure for $150 bucks, it's worth a shot. Thank you all, and once I figure out this pixel thing, I'll post photos.

I just picked up a 1964 Wheelhorse 854 with a plow, and deck. from the brother of the man who gave me my B-110. He asked me to fix the gas tank seal, oil pan gasket and rebuild the carb and make any adjustmments. (will be posting some questions I have when I ever find the camera) They are up there with simplicity quality and are a well built machine. Definetly worth the $150.00.

Wow, is all I can say! I bought the tractor, which had been restored, and treated like a baby by the previous owner. It even came with a simlicity dozer blade for my 725. After watching my tractor buddy salivate all over it, we made a deal. It is now his tractor. And I picked up my 725 from him today, it purrs.

All's well that ends well Deidra, glad every one wound up happy. Goat, i've had this WH since 94. Got it from a tennant who was tired of repairing it. It's a fun little ride.

Cool, Thats a 1964 854..8= 8hp Kohler 5= electric start 4= 1964..Those are a nice little tractors..I hope to get a older round hood Wheel Horse one day..They have a 2 peice aluminum gas tank and alot of the restored show tractors the guys have the tanks polished up like chrome

that looks like a 1963 with a 64 belt gard on it. my 64 has the tank under the hood, and the hood wraps around the steering wheel. i could be wrong thou.
quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
Cool, Thats a 1964 854..8= 8hp Kohler 5= electric start 4= 1964..Those are a nice little tractors..I hope to get a older round hood Wheel Horse one day..They have a 2 peice aluminum gas tank and alot of the restored show tractors the guys have the tanks polished up like chrome

This is why I like this site. No snobbery (Is this a word?), toward other brands. I like my 710 Allis/with push blade and 7010 Simplicity/with snowblower, but I also have 6 Wheelhorse tractors and like them alot. Most brand specific sites would have been in an uproar about these posts. Thanks guys.

man, your not kiddin. this is a great site. lots of shades of different colors on here. not to much green thou, Hmmmmm wonder why. i wont start nuthin up. you'll have a good one...
quote:
Originally posted by jdm
This is why I like this site. No snobbery (Is this a word?), toward other brands. I like my 710 Allis/with push blade and 7010 Simplicity/with snowblower, but I also have 6 Wheelhorse tractors and like them alot. Most brand specific sites would have been in an uproar about these posts. Thanks guys.