Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016 HI-LO adjustment

russ02

I've been attempting this for most of the summer. The HI-LO seems to prefer to remain in the HI range. I can get it into LO, with it moving smoothly, at rest, between the two. But as soon as I move the tractor, it will lock in HI range from then on. The belts are OEM, and new in July. Any ideas? Thanks.

Russ, Good luck, I posted this same question 1 week ago and received only one reply.I finally gave up and greased the gears and now it works worse than it did before.We must be the only two people with this Hi Lo problem.

If I follow you correctly, it sounds like you are trying to change ranges while you are driving? Can't do it. There is a lock out in the clutch linkage that only allows range changes when the clutch pedal is depressed. What gears did you grease? That couldn't have made the shifting problem worse. The belts are the same - hi and lo range. If they are not the right length, shifting may be difficult. If the idler pulley isn't the same diameter and width as the factory one, shifting will be difficult. Also, clutch and brake linkage need to be adjusted per the manual so everything moves together at the right time. The linkage should be clean and lubed with only a light oil, don't want grease or sticky oil to gather dust and dirt. Hope this helps, Tim

Russ/Vinnie, I'm not familiar with the hi-low units but there have been several posts on the topic. Try a site search for "hi-lo" to find the pertinent articles. You could also down load the parts and/or service manuals from Simplicity to gain insight on how they work at "http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start". I do remember there is a set screw somewhere in the units that likes to work loose and must be tight for correct operation. There is also some issues with the pivot pins/rollers on the shift fork. All I can do for now,

The shift fork problems are an entirely different problem than any Hi-Lo issue. The range on a 6 speed is external, and is accomplished by having 2 trans drive belts and 2 sets of drive pulleys. The idler is on a sliding tension arm, and when you change ranges, you just move the tension idler from one belt to the other. The other belt then just coasts along. Pretty slick idea that was only used from about 1977 to around 1982 or so. I have two 7016 six speeds, although the one that was built for tractor pulling has lo range and all associated parts removed. Tim

There was a posting not to long ago with links to the correct adjustments that need to happen to make it all work. But, I can't find it right now. I need the info to adjust my 716-6 Allis. It has not really been right since I put on the two new drive belts. When I get time to look, I'll try to post links. GregB

quote:
Originally posted by GregB
There was a posting not to long ago with links to the correct adjustments that need to happen to make it all work. GregB
http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65950

Thanks all. TimJr...Not trying to shift ranges on the fly. I can free the shift with a nudge from a small pry bar. Once it is free, it will slip between the ranges effortlessly. Once the tractor has been moved, an inch or around the yard, when I try to change ranges (stopped with clutch depressed) the lever is once again jammed. This is a progressive problem, felt like notches for some time to now where it just locks up. It never locks in lo range, only in hi. I've adjusted and readjusted per the manuals. Roy brings up an interesting possiblity, an issue with pins and rollers. It seems to fit the bill well, old age. Anyone know if there is anywhere these issues might be recorded? Such as tech service bulletins? GregC thanks for finding that topic for us.