Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

purpose of sickle bar swathboard

portuncia

Its supposed to drag the cuttings back to the left some so they dont get tangled up in the skid plate when you make your next pass.

I have a replica swath board if you are interested. Made a copy of one out of solid ash lumber and painted it orange. Sold the mower with the original board and kept the copy. email me for pics and details. bbaumerPE@cs.com

Just had a thought as I read Sams reply, maybe the reason I broke my sickle is because of not having one, thus possibly causing more stress on those two teeth to the inside of the pitman hool-up because of already cut , in my case thick clove, bunching up there somewhat hmmmmmm??????

In some vegetation the swathboard functions good, but I found in some material its more of a hinderance. What happens in some instances is that rather than just lay the material over a bit the swathboard tries to drag the material with the mower and you end up with a piled up mess and then the tractor gets dragged sideways from the weight at the end of the bar. Its a 50 50 thing. Sometimes I used it sometimes I didnt. If I didnt use it I tried to run the skid as close to the new cut as possible without leaving a thin row of uncut material. You just have to play it by ear with the stuff you are cutting.