Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-12 questions: round #2

wminmi

Alrighty! Got a used pulley on the BGB today, and took her for a ride :D She drove around the yard pretty well, but there are a few things that i need to check into: #1 Steering: Is there a grease fitting or some way to grease this up without tearing the tractor half-way apart? Reason i ask, she steers VERY hard and almost completely refuses to turn to the left. Turning radius severely sucks, needs some MAJOR grease or lube!! #2 BGB: After installing the used drive pulley (Thanx Steve!) she makes some clattering noises. I didn't notice any severe wear in anything while installing the pulley and belt, but there has to be something messed up somewhere. To me it sounded like the idler pulley bearing was shot, but after pulling everything back apart, it appears to be fine. Anything specifically to look for? Now, she's full of lube, but i'm sure she could use a lube change. Think that may help? #3 PTO: I think i named this correctly, the PTO on the BGB is what i'm talking about. Anywhos, there is WAY too much slop in the PTO belt, but the belt looks brand new. It appears the rod is adjusted as far as it can/will go, but it also looks homemade. Anybody got a belt number handy? Also, a pic of an original engagement/adjustment rod would be great also!! That's all i can think of at the moment, but be assured i'll think of something else to ask. As always, thanx a ton for any and all information. This website is the BEST!!

For #1 looki at the front spindles, one at each tire, see if there is a grease fitting there, I believe there is one on each, smarter folk here will give you a better answer.

yep, they are there and greased :D the problem is in the steering coloumn itself i think....there's a good 1/8th turn of the wheel before the steering linkages even try to turn the wheels B)

With out the deck on the MID PTO the engagement belt will appear sloppy and too big. Don't sweat the belt being too large untill you have the deck done and back on the tractor. I made this same assumption when I had my deck off and was trying to fit a belt for the mid PTO with nothing to drive. So far it sounds like you are heading in the right path. I usually douse EVERY moving part with a good dose of 30 weight oil to get things free'd up. When dealing with king pin type steering assemblies I ALWAYS take the grease zerks out, clean them and oil the zerk hole to break up the accumulated junk from years of neglect. Then I re-install the zerks and grease them often untill i'm sure i've effectively purged the remaining junk from the king pins. Also, if you have an oiling can or a turkey baster or syringe with a length of windshield washer hose on it you can get to the stearing gear by taking the battery side shield off. Oil this graciously as well. There are Grease Zerks all over the tractor. I suggest downloading the maintenance manual from the simplicity MFG sight to assist you. As for the BGB, there are many other members here who are better versed at what to do with them, but, check for end play on both the drive shaft end and the pto end of the bgb unit. it should have little (1/8th inch) play between them. If there is a lot of slop and play then chances are good that the unit needs rebuilt. Parts are still available but be prepared for sticker shock. Personally I would go back to e-bay and be careful, but buy a used unit from there with a guarantee to it's working order and tightness. All in my humble opinion....I hope this helps. Sean aka Zippo

First off if I were unfamiliar with the tractor would be to get the manuals downloaded and read them carefully. Next, sounds as if your tractor has sat for some time and stiffened up. I'd pull the column and mid-dash-tank support area out and thoroughly inspect, loosen up, lubricate all the steering and drive shaft components so you know what's what. By haveing the manuals in front of you there shouldn't be anything left unexplained. These mauals are about as good as the tractors and cover most anything you'd need to get into.

Most all these older tractors turn harder than the new lightweight MTD types. The reason is three is a lot more weight to deal with. Try jacking up the front of the tractor and then see if it still turns hard. It takes some getting use to but the trick is to not try to turn the wheel till the tractor is moving, Then its a lot easier. To much slop in the wheel can be adjusted some. The steering gears at the bottom of the shaft can be moved closer together. It sounds like the drag link is not set to center of the gears. This will make it not turn one direction very fast. and if some one had over meshed the gears at the bottom of the shaft they can jam causing it to turn hard. I think you cans still find the brass bushing in the center of the steering cluster, that wears out and give a lot of play in steering. BGB can be a fickle thing and should be looked into if you think its not right (to much play), There's a lot of posts in the archives that will help a lot. PTO like someone here said, the 2 belts work together. If there both the correct belt it works just fine. If one is short by a inch from OEM the other belt will have to be longer by that amount. Then its difficult to adjust, keep tight and running. So try to use the correct belts. This will be obvious when the deck is in place. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask question... Dan H

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
First off if I were unfamiliar with the tractor would be to get the manuals downloaded and read them carefully.
Just printed them all out Dave, should help alot! Started tearing her down today after deciding my "spray bomb" paint plan wouldn't look too good. New pix in the Show & Tell area. Wish me luck!

actually, after tearing into it and getting down to the steering gears themselves, it appears the 2 bearings down there are super dry and full of rusty looking grease. Nuthin new bearings won't solve!

For the hard steering, you may also want to check the steering rod that goes down to the front end. I had one on a Broadmoor that was badly bent, but did not realize it until I saw one that was straight! Mine did the same thing, very hard to steer to the left.