Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Chicken Tractor!!!!

johnmonkey

A farmer friend had plans for a chicken tractor so I made one, we roll it around the yard and the chickens have a new place to scratch and peck, there is a laying box at the end for eggs, it works great.

Have haed that same plan for years now, but I never got it put together. Looks like a great way to have free roaming chicken eggs yet ptotected from the roaming dogs and hootie owls.

Hello, Roy , yes it open on the bottom, MarksA-C it does move around the yard and fertilize all over plus aerates, Dave, the steering wheel is the oldest part on the machine, she is called my wife (29yrs old), Marty, a farmer friend had the plans from someone else, I made my own design and I have seen a fat red tail hawk perched real close to the tractor and the chickens were real stirred up. Thanks for the compliments. JH

That's my kind of chicken pen!!!. Do you keep them in it all the time or in another enclosed pen at night? I would have to worry about fox, coyote or the likes digging under at night. For a few chickens that would be ideal. Can I sort of use your idea?

Dorise, we did have a racoon or possum pull the staples out of the chicken wire and one chicken disappeared. I renailed the pen with galvanized "U" nails and have not had a problem since last fall, sure you can use my design. JH PS did anyone pick up on the color scheme?? It is my only John Deere in the collection. JH

That reminds me of a rabbit hutch I made about 50 years ago. No wheels,and the front part had wire on the bottom so the rabbits couldn't dig there way out. Just move it around and they ate the grass and fertilized at the same time, and no need to clean it out.

From what I can see in the photo that looks like one of the newer seven henpower machines they've been showing on late night commercials.