Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Sandy_Lake_Imp

AC/Simplicity 38" Tiller

Sandy_Lake_Imp
Does anyone have direct experience with the 38" Heavy Duty Tiller model #1690287? I have the 36" model 1690039 and it is a good unit, but I don't like the way the center drive transmission assembly keeps the tiller from going full depth, without making numerous passes. The 36" unit also bounces tremendously and I am constantly replacing bolts and using threadlocker red where I shouldn't. It looks to me like the 38" tiller is much heavier, has a one-piece shaft assembly (stronger than 3 piece) and heavy duty tines? However there has to be a reason it is no longer manufactured. Was it too heavy for the Sovereign, 7118H, 918H series? Or did low demand kill production? Please cast your vote now. I will not ask for a recount!

I had a chance to buy the heavy duty 38" tiller but it was just to much money for my needs. My friendly dealer wanted about $700 more then the standard 36" tiller in about the same condition. Its not to hard for anyone to tell that the 38" tiller is a "very" heavy duty unit" for sure compared to the smaller ones. I was told the reason they are so hard to find is that not to many people wanted to spend the extra $$ unless it was for comericial use. Its not a tiller that could be used on the older smaller tractors like the 63-70 Landlord because of the extra weight of the tiller and the larger size tines that are on it also. Bottom line they are like gold if you can find one "and you sure pay for it" and also from what I was told they were and are a trouble free tiller "but" not enough of them sold to justify making them. Anyone else please correct or add to this opinion of mine. Best to all, >>->happyjack<-<<

I have a 38'' tiller, and it works pretty good. It is big enough and heavy enough that it doesn't jerk, and it doesn't leave that dang untilled strip down the middle, the bad thing about it is that it doesn't till very deep. Even adjusted all the way down I can not get it to till more than about 5 inches deep, but other than that it will tear up some dirt. Even on untilled old clay, it only takes about two passes to get it all worked up. Ivan

tej
In this PA clay and rock soil any tiller will bounce. It can either bounce or break and bouncing is preferred to breaking. I have gone back to my front tine walk behind to avoid shaking the tractor apart. I have removed enough rocks from my garden to build a wall around it and haven't got them all out yet even though I've been working this same ground for 14 years. I can't stick a shovel in the ground anywhere on my lot with out hitting a rock.