Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hi-Low... is it worth it?

When I ask, is it worth it?... I don't mean price. I was wondering from people who might be using the Hi-Low if they find it reliable and really makes a difference in their work. Opinions? Especially if it made a different on a loader... (I saw Kent mention he was testing that).

I like mine! Worked very well blowing snow and tilling. The biggest thing is to locktight the set screw. When I got mine from Kent, he warned me about that, but "like an idiot"[:0] I didn't have any so I didn't use any. The screw tends to come out just enough to not alow you to shift it. Other than that, it works great. Elon

Guys, thanks for your opinion. I've got a rusty old Hi-Low and was wondering if it was worth breaking the bolts to put it on a B12 I intend to restore.

Elon, I have a Hi Lo on my 6HP Broadmoor and am unable to shift it easially. Could this be a set screw problem on this also and if so where is this set screw located? Thanks, Vinnie

quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie_A
Elon, I have a Hi Lo on my 6HP Broadmoor and am unable to shift it easially. Could this be a set screw problem on this also and if so where is this set screw located? Thanks, Vinnie
Vinnie, the set screw is on the flange on the back side of the pulley. On the Landlord/Sovereign machines, there's actually two set screws. One holds the two parts of the High/Low together, and if it comes loose it won't shift. The other holds the pulley to the input shaft of the tranny. I'd imagine the Broadmoor setup is very similar, though it does use a different size input shaft...

I have never had a tractor with a Hi-lo but I do have a B112 with a variable so i guess I have never need one, but I cna see like tilling or blowing snow where it would be nice..

I have one on my 728..I use it almost everytime I drive it..These have a high speed reverse and I have it parked in a tight spot in the garage, So I use it to back it into the garage when I am done using it

I put one on my B10 last spring for tilling and just love it. I like it much better than my variable speed B112 on the tiller because with the variable speed the tiller is still able to push the tractor in low gear, where the B10 it won't free wheel in low.