Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Where's the regulator?

BrianP

Greetings all, I'm currently working on my father-in-law's little Murray lawn tractor, rebuilding the Briggs on it, (I know, but for my labor I get a nice little 727 with attachments ^), but it doesn't seem to have a voltage regulator. As an added bonus, I'm converting my emergency generator from pull-start to electric start, and his little Murray is a great tool to model my conversion on. But once again, I was scratching my head trying to find out where the regulator is. I traced the wires, and all I found was a single wire from the armature under the flywheel, to the ignition switch! It does have what looks like "heat shrink" material making the wire thicker in one area. Anyone ever encounter this kind of setup?

That heat shrink thingy is a diode. I takes the place of a regulator. Briggs made a few different set ups. All use a alt under the flywheel. I believe the one wire is a 3 amp set up. Elon

What you are describing is the unregulated, 3 amp charging system. Elon, you are correct in that a diode is encased in the heat shrink. But the diode is not a regulator. It's a converter. AC current is generated by the engine's alternator. The diode converts that AC current to DC current for charging the battery. Pat

quote:
Originally posted by PatRarick
What you are describing is the unregulated, 3 amp charging system. Elon, you are correct in that a diode is encased in the heat shrink. But the diode is not a regulator. It's a converter. AC current is generated by the engine's alternator. The diode converts that AC current to DC current for charging the battery. Pat
Yeah, that right!:D I knew there was more to it than I wrote.:D I remember reading somthing about that in one of my Briggs books. Elon

The diode limits the flow of current to one direction also. That way the coil doesn't discharge the bat. when the engines not running.

Thanks to all who replied. I knew a diode was sort of a one-way valve for electricity, but didn't know about the conversion from AC to DC. Now that it's been explained, it makes sense. My guess is it sends the voltage through the diode, the key switch, and then on to the battery. Interesting approach.