Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Orange

Is all spark created equally?

Orange
Hello, I recently bought a Simplicity 725 with a 23D replacement engine. I thought is was seized, but turned out the backing plate behind the flywheel was never bolted down and the armature slipped down and was wedged against the flywheel. I have read my Briggs manual, gapped the points, cleaned the armature, flywheel magnets, done the proper air gap between the magnets and my three-legged armature, have a known good spark plug, and I finally got spark. The only thing I didn't have was a flywheel retainer key (yet anyway). I bolted down the flywheel and had great spark. Tried to fire the engine, still great spark, but it wouldn't run. Finally, to my question, if I have spark, does that mean my timing is correct, or could my timing still be off? I will be getting a retainer flywheel key soon and know I really can't expect to run anything until I get this part. Thanks for your advice or suggestion as to what could be the problem. By the way, I did disassemble, clean and inspect the carb and it was getting fuel, but just wouldn't run.