Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Moldboard Plow Q.

Boney

After you use a MoldBoard Plow is it ok to use a rototiller to smooth out the dirt ? Or should somthing else be used, any option here? Any comments are welcome. Thank you. Herm

Most farmers used to use the plow to turn under the top trash and allow it to rot into the soil,working the ground next with a disc harrow to smooth the soil and chop up the turned under vegitation. The last step was a spring tooth or spike tooth drag often with a cultapacker behind to final level the seed bed. All that being said, in my garden I plow, then use my homemade spring tooth field cultivator and am ready to plant. We then use the rototiller all summer between the rows. I think you can do it any way you want but a large rototiller set deep may bring back up the trash you just plowed under. My thoughts a little off as usual JW

Herm I see no reason not to use your tiller after plowing. before i got my little plow i tilled up the unturned ground it took 3 passes to get it ready to plant garden

[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/2010disc002.jpg[/img] all you can do is give the tiller a try after you plow. just like mention above, watch for tiller to bring trash back up. i plow, then run a disc. the pic is from yesterday. have fun...perry

I use the mold plow for the garden and general yard tear-ups. I have had so much more success pulling the mold plow over using a tiller to break up the yard. After I mold plow, I run the tiller to more finely churn the dirt. I was able to bring down a 300 square foot area by 6" by pulling the mold plow and using a grader blade. After that I ran a tiller and planted grass.

Herm I have followed the breaking (molboard)plow with the tiller with decent success,the only complaint being it's a bit rough going and requires time and patience. I much prefer to "drag" the plowed ground and then till or disc it,just like we did in the farm fields. All you need is a railroad tie or two fastened to the tractor with a chain and just drive over the plowed area untill you've knocked the furrow ridges down and the area is kind of smooth.

Thank you all for the great info. Perry great pic !! dirtsaver when I put in my lawn I draged about 8ft of chain link fence with some weight on it to smooth out the dirt, are you talking about somthing similar to that ? "All you need is a railroad tie or two fastened to the tractor with a chain and just drive over the plowed area untill you've knocked the furrow ridges down and the area is kind of smooth." Thnx all

That's the same thing Herm. Just makes it easier on the equipment and operator if the furrow ridges are knocked down so the ride is not quite as rough during the tilling.

In Indiana the farmers plow in the fall after harvest, the freezing and thawing break the soil down to a smoother surface that is easily worked. I guess I should have said used to, now its pretty much no till.

Scott is correct. I always plan to plow my garden in the fall. Just let it be after that until it's ready to be worked in the spring. The soil is mellow and I can just drag an old section of harrow over it and it's ready to plant.