Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

More on dating 725 by features

Jef
Sam, According to my reseach and acqusitions of these tractors. Is that Simplicity introduced the Wonderboy 700 (which is printed in the emblem) in late 59 as a 60 model as with autos. Then in 61 model it was only 700 along with some modifications which include a center mounting bolt for the grill frame and a different PTO engagement mechenism. The 62 model was the first 725 which also came with the longer steering column and spring still a white two piece seat. Also the grill frame was notched out to access the points and condenser and the round gas tank was introduced. And the shift lever was angled and choke cable option.The 63 model the last in the series had the pan seat. 1964 brought the Landlord series Model 990304/314.

SmilinSam
Jef, Could it be possible that some of these improvements could have been made mid or late in the 62"production year ? The reason I ask is that I have seen 62' sales literature showing the 725 with the short steering. It could be that the photo is the previous model used to sell the new model year , but I doubt that to be the case. P.S. An expert is someone who REALLY does know something, I myself am just fumbling around trying to figure things out by a process of elimination. If we could get a few more people, like Jef, who have the property and do know something about these tractors to speak up we could all be experts. That is what I believe this forum is all about. Isn't this web sight the best thing since sliced bread? I really think so.

Jef
Sam, Don't be surprised by old pictures for new product. In some of the old brochures that my father has kept of the Landlord series in the late 60's they still use photos of the 700's to show options. Jeff

SmilinSam
Doing some research here and elsewhere has yielded the following, please add and or confirm. 1963 was the first year on the 725 for taper roller bearings in the front wheels; first year for the pan type seat; first and only year for the tall spring loaded steering wheel; first year for the starting cup gaurd(underside seat deck, rt side); and gas tank went from squared off ends to a rounded end tank. 1962 and older had the short fixed steering wheel; bushings in the front wheels; white foam seat with back rest; no starting cup guard; and a squared end gas tank. I have been going through original sales literature photos and there are a few features which I still need to know what year they were introduced and whether they were introduced on the 700 or the 725. Those features are: the shift lever started out as straight up and down then was switched to having a bend in it, what year/model?; the choke control started out( I assume on the carb) then moved to a cable control with the lever on the right side of the center console by your leg, what year/model?; the brake pedal started out as a smooth surface then went to a grooved surface, what year/model? Does anyone have a few answers? Thanks, Sam

John_RI
I have a 725 with taper roller bearings in the front wheels and a white two piece seat. I'm quite sure it doesn't have a starting cup gaurd, and I don't think it has the longer steering column and spring - how do I identify the steering difference? John(RI)

KenW
Hi, I have the WB 700 and a 725. The 725 has the smaller seat without the backrest. I also have the tiller, snow blower, plow, mower deck and front blade. I have never really compared them so if you have any questions where I can look at them side by side let me know and I will do my best to answer you. Ken Williams

SmilinSam
The 1963, and as Jeff added, the1962 725's had a taller steering column than the pre 62' tractors. The taller steering was also spring loaded so you can take hold of the wheel, lift up (thus pulling the steering gears apart) and then be able to spin the wheel around so the short side of the wheel faces front. All this so the hood can be opened easier.