Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FUEL DRAINING FROM THE CARB.

fse63

hi everyone. i,m glad i found you. i have a b-210 that needs depends. just kidding!:o) if i leave the tractor sitting for a few days, all the fuel drains out of the tank. it appears it is draining from the carb a drop at a time but not enough to leave a puddle. is it a needle and seat problem? also the governer control rod is sticking at the carb somehow.

what is the link to the manual to rebuild the carb? it sounds like the right thing to do. i am located in north central MA. do you know of anyone that can sell me the rebuild kit(s)?

I have two tractors with the same carb. One is like it came from the factory, one was rebuilt. The rebuilt one leaks slowly if left sitting. The original one does not. By the way, this original one was on a 1961 tractor and has not been rebuilt. I put a shutoff valve on the one with the rebuilt carb. No shutoff valve on the one that does not leak. Slow leakage appears to be a common problem with B/S carbs. The older tractors, such as my 61 Wards, came from the factory with a fuel shutoff valve. I recommend putting fuel shutoffs on all of the tractors. They can be very useful in an emergency situation, even if the carb does not currently leak.

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
Yep, a fuel shut of will help, but I always forget to shut it off before parking it.
My problem is remembering to turn it on when I start it! B)

Mike, Get one of the vacuum operated valves of a motorcycle gas tank. Older ones were manual, then later they used valve that opened when the engine started cranking and produced vacuum.

I thought that some time ago, either AL or someone else had posted an excellent writeup on the leaking problem, but for the life of me, I cannot locate it now. Anyway, if memory serves me correctly, they pointed to a situation where the carburetor nozzle would not seat correctly, and thus allow gas to leak by into the intake tube. Does anyone recall this writeup or is it just CRS setting in again?

Mike, I also remembered that and searched for it about two weeks ago and didn't find it. I was thinking I had CRS also but maybe not, I feel better now, LOL.

Hi, usually the fuel leak is past the threads of the fuel nozzle into the carb throat.It needs to be tightened up, but that isn't the complete story. The threads corrode and the nozzle won't tighten. Briggs has a bottom tap 5/16-28 or 1/4-28 bottom tap depending on the carb size. Clean out the threads and install a new nozzle and leak problem is cured. The 28 thread fine taps are hard to find on the open market and somewhat pricey from Briggs, but worth the money to stop the aggravation of fuel leaks. Works for me every time. Conrad

Mike/Thom, I also remember a post about seating the fuel needle/nozzle. If I remember correctly it said there was a small elastomer washer in carburetor repair kits that could be put between the tapered seat and the nozzle to seal the seat if all else failed. Also think it may have been one of Al's posts.

quote:
Originally posted by wantedinct
Does anyone have a diagram of a carb, i'd like to see were the fuel nozzle is. I just cant picture it.
Here is what I have. Hope you can make it out. You have to screw this part out before you remove the main body from the top or you will bend and break it.

I found a 5/16-28 bottom tap listed in McMaster Carr for $18.72. Glad to hear I wasn't imagining things. Just too much information here to remember it all! Have to use the bookmarks more frequently.8

quote:
Originally posted by Conrad
Briggs has a bottom tap 5/16-28 or 1/4-28 bottom tap depending on the carb size.
The taps are 5/16"-32 NEF and 1/4"-32 NEF. Briggs part #19245 Carburetor Tap Set $8.80.

quote:
Originally posted by msiebern
I thought that some time ago, either AL or someone else had posted an excellent writeup on the leaking problem, but for the life of me, I cannot locate it now. Anyway, if memory serves me correctly, they pointed to a situation where the carburetor nozzle would not seat correctly, and thus allow gas to leak by into the intake tube. Does anyone recall this writeup or is it just CRS setting in again?
It was by Pat Rarick. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=14856

quote:
Originally posted by gregc
quote:
Originally posted by msiebern
It was by Pat Rarick. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=14856
Thanks, that is the one I was thinking of, but also found these two from Al on the same topic. Bookmarks on the way! http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2146&SearchTerms=leak http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2425&SearchTerms=leak

I could have sworn that the ones I have say 28 threads. I don't remember that PN. I will check when I go back to the shop. I could be wrong, I sometimes am. I'll be back. Conrad

quote:
Originally posted by fse63
what is the link to the manual to rebuild the carb? it sounds like the right thing to do. i am located in north central MA. do you know of anyone that can sell me the rebuild kit(s)?
I get all of my rebuild kits from Napa

If Napa cain't get the rebuild kit, this is the closest dealer to you. GARDNER POWER INC 509 MAIN STREET GARDNER, MA 01440 (978) 632-7669 Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment