Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs &Stratton flywheel alternator questions

ReedS

I've aquired a 7116 w/a 16hp B&S equipped with the flywheel alternator that isn't charging. I've done some research and it would appear that it would be the 10-16 amp style alt with a rectifier/regulator. I have battery voltage at the rectifier (red wire). I don't have a meter capable of ac voltage however but I realize that there should be ac voltage at the stator. I did check the stator with my ohm meter (0 ohms). Short of buying a meter to check for ac voltage at the stator (as well as a briggs manual) is there any other method of checking this? I ran a search for alternator but came up with few leads, however I did find some links to b&S which helped in my identification of the alt type. (I hope) Anyone been there done that?:p

Briggs, Kohler and Tecumseh have their method of charging and trouble shooting. With out that you can't be helped much. The only other thing is is to put a DC meter on the battery. After starting the engine and running it at a medium speed, observe the voltage to see if it steadily climbs above 12 volts.

Well Bob I've known that I've been beyond help for some time now. I did indeed check the voltage at the battery with the engine running and since it never rose above batt voltage I was under the impression that it was in fact not charging. I went and bought an AC voltmeter tonight so I'll check to see if there's any output at the stator if I have AC voltage there I'll most likely need a rectifier/regulator. If nothing else I'll have to buy the briggs manual as well.