Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

717 transmission gear oil fill

rsnik

Hello all, I am putting the newer carb, deck, seat, muffler, gas tank etc off the 728 I just got (has a blown motor)on the 717 I just got and a bunch of other stuff (everything looks like a 3 minute job and takes all day). I removed the oil plug on the 717 that is accessed through the big hole in the rear hitch and topped off with 90 wt. Then I see there is another plug on top of the transmission you see when you peer in looking down past the gear shift. Is that access for something besides oil fill or should I back out that plug and have a field day pouring in 90 wt? Is the bottom plug a drain plug (I thought it was a top off tell tale but I don't see a drain plug. If the tranny is supposed to be full to the top plug it is way low on gear oil as I only filled till it ran out the bottom hole. I hear ruined bevel gears is something you just don't want. Thanks, rsnik

To be honest, I don't know what the top plug is for. Maybe an inspection hole? The drain plug on my 738's are on the bottom right side(looking at the rear of the tractor) of the trans. You do fill through the rear plug until it reaches the bottom of the hole.

The top hole is for the fill and the bottom hole is supposed to be out too..Fill at top until it reaches the hole on the bottom...Hwever I always just use the bottom hole LOL..That top one is in a hard to get to place..

Thanks for your input. Looking around further I read that special tools can be inserted through the top pipe nut hole to fix problems such as trans locked up due to shift fork dislocation and save having to split the case.