Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Leaf Plow

Brent_Baumer

Wonder how well this works. If at all: http://www.jrcoinc.com/leafplow.html [img]http://www.jrcoinc.com/images/leafplow7.jpg[/img]

Seems like a good idea, when I was a kid (on 10 acres of oaks), the 2012 wind rowed the leaves till the pile was to big then the 6horse special (the red one) with a slightly modified snow plow moved the leaves towards the burn pile. Without hurting the lawn. What little was left from the plow was easily wind rowed.

I actually think I've seen one in action around me. They used it to push big piles towards a leaf loader truck. They had a guy near the leaf loader with a rake sweeping the piles into the vacuum. Looked fast.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian313
Seems like a good idea, when I was a kid (on 10 acres of oaks), the 2012 wind rowed the leaves till the pile was to big then the 6horse special (the red one) with a slightly modified snow plow moved the leaves towards the burn pile. Without hurting the lawn. What little was left from the plow was easily wind rowed.
Thats what I always did until I started multching the leaves..Always worked good too..

I'm sure that with some ingenuity, people here could build their own sheetmetal leaf plow with a reinforced back and install it on to their existing plows-- and in such a way that it doesn't change, damage, or add holes in the plow. Good idea...

i think they work pretty well. I see a lot of them up here. If you get large piles of leaves you want to move they could be usefull. Some landscapers up here use them.

Hmmmmm...... Gets me to thinking about adding one on my snowblade to push my leaves in the field beside my house. Compost the farmers field for him.

i guess my 46 inch dozer blade would do the same thing without modification. Not quite as fast but it should work. A leaf plow will not pick up every leaf but should be great for moving bulk leaves. I think you could do it with the dozer.

Alomost 30 years in mid October I bought my HB212 from an ad in the paper. When I went to check it out the owner had the snowblower attached and was blowing leaves with it. He was flying across the lawn at full speed and it was doing a pretty good job at clearing the leaves away and up and over the fence into the field.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
Alomost 30 years in mid October I bought my HB212 from an ad in the paper. When I went to check it out the owner had the snowblower attached and was blowing leaves with it. He was flying across the lawn at full speed and it was doing a pretty good job at clearing the leaves away and up and over the fence into the field.
I' toying with idea of trying that this year.:D

Mike, That sounds very doable. The only thing I'd do is add wheels in the center so that if the snowblower hits tree roots or anything of the sort, it won't damage it. As for using a plow, I'd cut off some rake bottoms and attach it to the bottom of the plow, so that it will rake the ground. I think the extra sheet metal is to deal with the volume of the leaves. But, using a snowblower to leaf blow... Never thought of that. Should be interesting to try. :)

What about wiring a length of snow fencing on a blade with wooden blocks to keep the front corners turned in plus the wheels on the bottom?

PGL, That would work, most especially if the bottom of the snow fencing was seperated so that there are "fingers" raking on the ground. The only thing we would want to watch out for, is to make sure it's secure enough so that if we accidently went reverse with the plow down, it will not rip off the fencing off of the plow.