Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How fast are you? BGB / Transmission swap

I've got three machines which need BGB/transmission swaps... One is an old Landlord, third gear is broken. One has a broken axle tube (very original 3112H) and one has a bad BGB (very original 3012). So how much time should I plan for if I want to do these jobs each in one shot? Now I know everyone's time will vary some, but a reasonable time to do that? I'd bet I could do the old landlord faster than the Hydrostatic or the Variable speed... only because there are less overall bolts. The biggest problem would be to break old bolts free. I've been waiting to finish one work area, so I drop the project and do it in spare time. I don't plan to paint these as they are all original paint machines and fairly decent looking. Feel free to through out any special tools I should have handy or tricks I should consider (ex: spray all with liquid wrench a day before).

Married with children? It would take me 6-8 months each. Not to mention countless trips to the hardware store for a single washer or a spring. Then of course I would break a few things. And if you throw a divorce in there, you might add another year on to my original 6 month estimate. Of course the upside is that after the divorce and loss of my boys, I could probably do one each on a weekend. Just kidding of course. I can't speak to the others, but I think I had a total of 5 or 6 man-hours into a BGB. Counting trips to the hardware store and calls to the local dealer...probably 12 hours.

I would put aside a whole day and have some hardware available before starting, 1/4" bolts at least. I think the hardest (most annoying) part is removing the shifter/dash assy to get to the BGB bolts and drivehaft. If you have everthing planned and set before you start you may even be able to do it in 1/2 a day, this does not include cleaning and working on individual parts while they are off which I would most likely do.

At the risk of stirring the pot to much :D RBT's are much easier. No need to mess with the dash, the running boards are great for jack stand placement. If I remember correctly when i did the swap on my 716-6 it was under 4 hours. Mostly because I never did it before. I would think 2-3 hours would be possible on an RBT GregB

i agree with Greg. I done several BGB's. Even with my experience FDT = 3+hours. RBT = under 2 hours. I have never had a BGB come out or come apart with problems. I am not counting the the delay time if you need parts ordering and delivery. There is usually enough oil and grease present so nothing is rusted together. Note: sometimes the driveshaft yoke on the input shaft can be difficult to get off, but there is good pry leverage in the area.

I use air tools whenever possible, 3/8's impact gun 3/8's air rachet etc. I've never timed myself on anything like this, mainly because this is a hobby, not a real job so my time spent on repairs becomes slightly less important. I just had my 2110's trans out for the broken axle tube deal, it became a thrash toward the end after splitting 2 other transmissions for parts and cutting the broken axle tube in two just to get it out of the case half. I most likely spent two long days on it start to finish. If I had had a good trans to make a swap 1 for 1 it would have taken just a few hours.

My Landlord took about 2 months. MAin reason for that was the amount of time necessary to find and sell enough aluminum cans to pay for parts. Breakdown took about an hour, putting it back together maybe a couple of hours. It was my first, and due to time in between taking it apart and putting it back together, several things had to be taken apart again before reassembly in the proper order. Would be a good weekend project to do what you are talking about, if no new parts are required to slow you down.