Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Pistons self destructing

SmilinSam
Both Case tractors I have played around with suffered from the same engine problems. The first 220 with a 10 HP Kohler had several Cracks in the sides of the piston below the oil control ring when I removed it. The second 220 ( 8 years newer) had the piston completely self destruct inside the cylinder. CAme apart at the oil control ring groove. Everything below that was in a million pieces.Conecting rod and pin was still bolted to the crank and appeared to be 100% intact. The bore on the engine was not even torn up any. What causes this type of piston damage?

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by perry
i would say cylinder out of round, but you say it checked out ok. maybe running it to hot?. i havent came across any with that promblom yet. i would like to know myself what caused that..
Both had wear and lips you could easily feel at top and bottom of cylinder. I never checked dout of round Case tractors like these look like a heat problem setup for sure. Sucks preheated air into the engine from the hydraulic oil cooler plus the exaust heat. Could be out of round, but I thought it odd for two similar tractors in a row to have the same problem.

HubbardRA
I had a friend whose Kohler ran good till you pushed it really hard, then it lost power. He pulled it apart, and found that there was insufficient clearance between the piston and cylinder.

maxtorman1234
As you mentioned Sam, there was quite a ridge, if the cylinder wears, also the piston will be wore as well, causing an excessive gap, the piston can slap back and forth while running, and I imagine this would cause the cranks when the piston is forced down probably crooked while under load. The top end wears more in the kohlers than the briggs, thats why you dont see many pistons like that in the briggs. It is not worth cheating when rebuilding a kohler, bore it over and get new piston and rings. THats my opinion, hope it helps you out,

SmilinSam
I wonder if the oil control rings have a tendancy to catch the lower lip on a worn kohler? That would explain the damage to the lower parts of the piston and why breakage would occur at the oil control ring. I saved the Block for possible boring out later. Crank did not appear to be damaged anywhere. Do you suppose its usable given the damage if its in tolerance?