Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
rsnik

One good screw up fixes another...

rsnik
I was closing the garden out today, pulling up 50 tomatoe plants, rows of beans and eggplants etc. Was not using the 717 because it really has no brakes and when I back up to the cliff where I throw the "compost" the tractor is likely to follow. I used my 18.5 Murray to tow the 1 yard garden tractor. The Murray has very little holding power either so I tested the brakes twice before getting too close to the cliff edge. The third time the brake's got nothing, I hit the hydro and gas but the tires spin and back she goes anyway, I jump off and the tractor and trailer go off the embankment. The trailer flips and jacknifes and I thought the trailer tongue would be wrecked but it only twists up the puny metal lip with a hole in it where the trailer hitch pin goes through on the Murray. I tow it out with the TrailBlazer and no damage except the badly twisted lip. Next load I approach parallel to the cliff but it is a steep, grassy hill up to the spot I want to dump. Half way up the tires spin on the wet grass and the tractor slides backward, jacknifing again the other way and flipping the trailer. This time the tractor stays up and doesn't go over and I don't have to jump. I empty and right the trailer and pull it out just by turning down the hill with the tractor. The second mishap was the opposite of the first and the trailer tongue twisted the puny metal lip with a hole in it on the Murray back to original spec, fixing the previous damage. I was so amazed at my ability to fix tractors on the fly that I can't wait to start working on other members stuff! I hope this doesn't revoke my membership as I wasn't driving a Simplicity at the time. Best, rsnik

skot71
What, no pictures??? N'yuk! I have a B-208 which is similar to a 717. I had the same "no brakes" problem, and adjusted the linkage underneath the left side. Simple adjustment really makes a big difference. Good luck!