Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help - 3212H won't start

knopow

Ok, so I was mowing along and it just quit. It barely started again after much cranking, now won't at all. It sounds like it's almost there, almost wants to start, but just won't do it. So here's what I've done and/or checked: - New started generator - New solenoid - 12.5V into solenoid, 11.5v coming out to starter generator when cranking engine - Battery checked out - Has good spark at plug - Took apart and cleaned/check carb - twice - Fuel is reaching carb - Checked air filter Any ideas? Thanks, Jeremy

Thanks for the advice all, I will check the points and the flywheel. I also noticed now that fuel is leaking from the bottom of the carb, just in front of the choke valve. Could this be a a leaking main jet? Thanks, Jeremy

Ok, still no luck.... I checked the points and they look good. Before I go through the effort of pulling the flywheel and checking the key, does that really make sense if I have good spark? Wouldn't there not be any spark if the key was sheared? I did check and clean the main jet and seat, and installed the teflon washers in the rebuild kit just to be sure. Something strange I noticed was that one of the two wires connected to each other on the insulator, attached to the points cover, was grounded to the block. I checked it with a continuity tester between a bolt on the block and the wire and it showed full continuity, no resistance. This wire was black and went from the insulator on the points cover to behind the shroud covering the flywheel. The other wire on the points cover insulator was yellow and goes to the ignition switch. Is this all kosher or is something up here? I couldn't find these wires on any wiring diagram, so if anyone knows where I can find one that would be immensly helpful. ...or any other ideas? My lawn is approaching jungle status :) Thanks, Jeremy

Compression.... If you dont have adequate compression your engine will not start or run. Worn piston rings or a stuck valve, and a leaking head gasket can all cause a loss of compression. Also check to make sure that you dont have an air leak in the intake system. Ryan