Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mowerman and the 717

rsnik

Hello Mowerman, I checked out your web site. I see you are restoring a '67 717. I have a '67 717 and a '71 728, both in "pride of ownership" great condition. The 728 has a new carb on a blown engine. The 717 has a worn out carb. I switched the carb over from the 728 to the 717 yesterday and the 717 now runs really good. I was going to swap the 717 engine over to the 728. Mainly because the 728 has a 3 speed and the 717 is a 2 speed. But, heck, if you are restoring a 717 why am I parting one out that does not need restoring? The 717 has original paint with a patina of age that I think would be foolish to paint over, it looks like a well cared for antique as is. After seeing your site I am thinking the 717 is the more deserving child of the two. Anybody's comments appriciated. Best, rsnik

I think either one is a good restore project..They both have their good points and not as good points..I say you should fix up what ever tractor you like best. Here are some things to consider before you start fixing one up..What do you plan to do with the tractor and do you want it to be as close to original as possible or is mild changes ok? Here are some difference's between the 2 tractors that might help you decide what to fix.. 1)The 728 with 3 speed transmission has a rear PTO shaft to mount a pully for rear PTO powered attachments such as a Tiller or Lawn revitalizer.. 2)The 728's 3 speed has a better mowing speed than the 717's 2 speed (on the 717 1st gear is a little slow but 2nd is kinda fast for mowing) 3)If you use a snowblower..the 717 would need ( or in most case's should have) a HI/LO pulley kit as 1st gear is a little fast for heavy snow.The 728 1st gear seems to be slow enough.. 4)The 728 has more room under the hood and would be easier to mount a larger motor such as a 10-12hp..Can be done on the 717 with some cutting of the grille and hood but in most case's will mount in the 728 without cutting anything..very tight fit though.. The only thing I really like about the 717 is the looks..I like the older rounded hood style better than the flat hood of the 728..If you feel the same way and don't mind doing some swaping around some parts. You might consider mounting the 728 transmission into the 717..that way you get the older style with the more user friendly transmission.. These are just a few things to think about..There is probably more but these are things just off the top of my head that I could think of.. By far the most favorite small frame tractor I have is the Broadmoor 5010..Its just way more user friendly than any of the older ones with a little more HP too..The hood is on a hinge to to service the motor you don't have to remove the hood..just flip it forward..It alsohas a swooped forward front axle so it can handle a 42" mower deck rather than the 36"..The 10hp motor makes a big difference too..

Jonathan - I think that the steering is better on later maodels. I never looked closely to see what is different, but I just think that the 728 steers easier. I f you are going to make one a "show" tractor and one a working tractor, I suggest one improvement that will make a HUGE differnce in the performance of a "working" tractor. Find a set of 8" front wheels off an older Landlord (get the skinny ones rather than the wider "delux" wheels used on later models). These have bearings rather than bushings, but the fit perfectly on the Broadmoor spindles. The extra diameter of the wheels lifts the front end about 3/4 inch and may require slight adjustment of the mower decl. But I think it make a very big improvement in the performance of the tractor. Tom

Tom, funny yu say that because my 717 steers easier than my 728..But the 717 sat outside for years before I got it and the steering was almost rusted up..I had to take it all apart and grease everything up real well..Maybe thats the difference..Only thing I have seen different on the 728 is it has a full steering wheel rather than the half moon style.. Seems like the larger wheels would raise the front more than 3/4"?Also seems like you could get a roller bearing to fit in the Broadmoor wheels..However I don't think the bearings or bushings would make that big of a difference..probably more like the diameter on the tire making the difference..A larger diameter tire will roll easier than a smaller one..I plan to mount a larger (20x10x8) tire on the rear of mine and tri ribs on the front..

My 717 has Kenda 5.30 X 4.50 6 tires on it that measure 14 inches at the top from the floor using a level and tape measure. The 728 has the same size in a knobby Goodyear that measures 13" from the top of the tire to the floor. The Kenda tires are newish in condition but look like 1930's automobile tires with a skinny rib w/siping design. The 717 drives like power steering. The 728 has really heavy steering, so much so I greased everything up and finally floor jacked up the front because I thought something must be binding up. Nope. Free as a bird when you jack her up. It's the tires. I am with you all the way Mowerman. I like the mechanicals better on the 728 but think the hood/grill styling on the 728 is like flat tonic water while the styling on the 717 has that 50's retro look that gets the whistle on my tea kettle blowing. The transmission swap sounds like a great idea although I will probably reach 1500 posts, mostly to you, before it's done. Hopefully I'll have parts left over to put in your Christmas stocking. Best, rsnik