Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

If you could only have one

carbuff713

I read a thread a while back that asked folks -- if they could only have one tractor what would it be. I have searched but have not been able to find the thread. Can anyone help?

No need to search the best overall tractor out there is drum roll please........ The Deutz-Allis 1920 "Ultima" ;)aka Simplicity "Sunstar" aka Agco "1920" :D

Of course the previous post was totally unbiased. I don't usually find what i'm looking for in the archives but I found this for you.:) http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=32769&SearchTerms=favorite,tractor

After checking out that link it was hard to believe that the Ultima in any of it's variations was not even mentioned:(:(:(

I've liked the look of the classic B10's. I'm going to restore a B10 with an L10 loader and a B12 with a L12. If I worked my way down to one tractor. It unfortunately wouldn't be one of those... it would be the HB112. So, I am going to have to make two sets of the subframes, so I can quickly switch the loader from the B12 to the HB112 or 3112H. If I customized the HB112, I'd probably copy Kent/Maynard and put a 16hp in it and call it a HB116. Though, I like em original. The extra horsepower would enable me to run a vacuum and drive a bit faster. It could plow the sidewalks and rototill/plow the garden. It would be the single machine I'd keep. BTW: The hood on the HB112 and similar is the best thing for keeping a charge on the battery.

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Salmons
9020/720
I have to agree the powermax's or a 720 I would like the 720 best because I like Allis Chalmers...:)

AGCO 2027 Diesel that i own.The only AGCO 2027 with a Diesel in it. I use this tractor more than any i have ever owned.

not an expert by any stretch regarding allis/simplicity..esp the bigger ones...do love my b12 but as far as pure utility the little kubota (prob more tractor than i need) with the 3cylinder diesel and loader, 3pt and prob most important 4wd has come in handy a lot....tho this discussion hurts a bit cause i like to own one of everything.. is there a 4wd midframe allis or simplicity? scott

Even though I love my 61 Wards, if I could only have one, it would have to be my AC716H with the hydrolift. It is the most versatile tractor that I have.

quote:
Originally posted by oldone
I would say, the one with most gas in it!
:D:D:D Not me..that would have to be the one thats broke down..otherwise it would have any gas.. :D:D

If we were talking a fariy tale world where I would actually allow myselft to be limited to one tractor, I guess it would be my 7116H, but in the real world I could only get down to maybe 3 tractors, the 7116H, my 7014S (best running tractor I have ever owned), and 717 Broadmoor for those fine tighter mowing areas.

I think Eddie (Nubian) is right. My 1920 is sweet. 20hp, power steering, drive shaft implements. HiLo locking differential.

A Ventrac 4200 VXD. They are made by the Steiner brothers. Steiner sold out to Ransome who makes bobcats(I think). Then they created another brand. They are awesome tractors. 60" deck (with striping), 4WD, pivots in the middle, Hydro. There are over 30 attachments for these things. My dad has one and they are awesome. But with a price tag of 12,000+ i think ill stick to my 2112

think kent has one of those, he had a b6000? before. then found that machine..you are right,..very nice..but my b7100 is more in my budget right now...paid like 1k for small 4wd diesel loader. scott

The Legacy XL is similar to the Kubota BX series. It makes a great "only" tractor, but if you have tight spaces to mow, it can be hard to squeeze in. The three point modified CAT 1 hitch can't lift as high as a larger framed tractor, so you have to watch what attachments you buy. But it only uses about 2 gallons of fuel to mow 3 acres, and I have power to spare. The differential lock is handy when I slip on a ditch bank, or the 4wd if it's really muddy.