Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Purpose of the Bail and Rocker Arms on the 48"Rota

The mower assembly lies on a workbench waiting to be taken apart. Prior to removing it from the tractor it moved up and down in response to the control lever but I did not check to see if it remains level or if it simply pivots about the pins securing it to the mounting brackets. Can someone tell me how it is supposed to operate and how the bail and rocker arms should operate relative to each other and to the mower deck. The assembly seems to be in accordance with the instruction manual for this attachment, Manual #1323 Ser.Form P39. Any help will be much appreciated Bob (Bertbean)

Sandy_Lake_Imp
The bail & arms do not move during operation of the deck, they are for adjustment purposes. Lengthening the rods will raise the front of the deck in relation to the rear. Front tip of center blade should measure 1/8 to 1/4 higher than the rear tip of a side blade. This is measured when the blades are facing front to rear. This is what makes the Simplicity deck capable of doing a great job of mowing even after 30 years!

JeffNemes
If you suspend the mower HITCH on the bench at the EXACT same height as the tractor mounting holes you can check and adjust the level at this time - it is easier than bending down on your knees when it is back on the tractor! Before adjusting make sure all blade tips are within 1/8-1/4" on the same level plane. Also they should not touch but have about 1/4" clearance between them.

Thank you both for youir help.You should know that I am new to this and had never heardof the name Simplicity until two months ago when I bought this model 3212-H. The vendor had removed the rolloer assembly and can only find one roller which measures 7-3/4" long by 2-5/8" diameter with a tapered bore 3/4"dia at one end and 1-1/8" at the other. Are the other 6 rollers like this or does this even belong to the Sovereign?I shall have to make or buy the rest of the assembly. From you reply I guess I was wrong in thinking that one controlled the height of cut with the hydraulic lift arm. The mower deck needs some body work to improve its appearance. The construction is rugged so that no structural repairs are required. There will probably be more questions when I start work on the tractor. Hope you don't mind all these amateur questions. Bertbean

JeffNemes
The tapered bore sounds like it is worn out which they will after a while. Also sounds like it was set up to cut higher for field grass which you can do by using the lift as long as the belt does not rub. But if you go much higher than it was designed for the belts can snap from stress. Normally there are rollers in back the full width or more of the mower.