Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
rsnik

Looks like a job for firefoxz1...

rsnik
Hello firefoxz1, Got the 717 out in nice, bright, late afternoon sideways light and had a go, following your instruction to the best of my "ability". The wire linkage and a tiny spring are attached to the throttle rod and run back to attach to the governor arm. The governor arm has a cap screw and nut clamping it on to the shaft at it's base, along with an adjacent screw that runs parallel to the shaft and is connected to something back in there that rotates around about 200 degrees and then hits on stops. If you turn it all the way counter clockwise with the engine running you get a clicking noise, all the way clockwise nothing happens. The governor arm does not free up from the shaft when the nut is loosened so I guess it is keyed. It was a bummer but I could not see what you were trying to get across. I could effect no change or adjustment no matter what I tried. The throttle rod will not remain closed and drifts open; after pushing the throttle rod shut to the stop with your finger the engine will not remain at idle for more than 10 seconds. Some good news is, the new carburator tunes sweetly at idle and high RPM's. Bad news is I used an outboard motor spark checker (allows view of spark in clear chamber, is adjustable). Spark is weak and intermittant. Motor has become very hard to start but runs good once going. Fuel system is not the issue, has compression, must be ignition related. With outboards the first thing to check with weak or no spark is any shorts to ground on the kill wire (a.k.a. the "ignition" switch circuit.) After kill circuit checking I imagine I will be checking the magneto and points (neither of which I particularly like or know anything about). If I knew this engine had good bearings and rings I would "get thee to a Magnatron". Actually, even if I throw this engine in a dumpster (as I was seriously contemplating this afternoon) I could take the Magnatron off first. Best, rsnik

mowerman1193
Well to set the governor you should have the engine shut off..Open throddle wide open,note what way the governor arm moves when moving throddle wide open,push the arm the same direction as far as it will go, loosen the nut on the cap screw,the end of the shaft that the arm is on should have a slot for a straight screw driver..turn that shaft with the screw driver while holding the arm as far as it will go in the same direction as you are pushing on the arm..then clamp the arm back down onto the shaft with the cap screw & nut..That should have the governor adjusted..This is the way I was told to do it...in fact just did it on my 728 yesterday..

firefoxz1
Sorry I was thinking Tecumseh. Like mowerman said loosen the arm and turn the shaft with a small screwdriver toward WOT (cw, I believe), then push the arm the same way and lock it down. You may just have to adjust the cable a little.

rsnik
OK, that's the same setup on the 717 and the 728. I was trying to keep the throttle closed. When you are sitting on the ground looking at it the governor arm is all the way to the left when the throttle rod is closed and on the stop. I was holding the governor arm all the way to the left. Soooo, open the throttle wide open, hold the governor arm all the way to the right (the way it wants to go at full throttle) and turn the shaft as far as it goes to the right and retighten. Will do. Although I wonder if I should just swap over the entire governor assembly from the 728. I notice a spring loaded set screw on the rotating plate the throttle cable terminates on. It looks like some sort of preventer, the screw drives onto a bevel on the rotating plate with a stop. Wuzzat? rsnik What do you think of the hard startin' weak sparkin' thing? Know as little about this as everything else but I guess check that nothing is grounding out the ignition, then check magnito gap and points/condenser? My understanding is coils are good or bad although they may fade when hot. The condenser stores the charge until the points close and trigger the coil. Bad condenser might be the culprit or dirty points? The 728 has a hole blown in the case but turns over, I should throw a battery in it and do a spark check. If it has strong spark it has good parts to grab.

firefoxz1
Sounds right. That screw maybe a stop for the two cable setup (choke and throttle) to keep assembly from moving to far. Don't need to move that far to engage the choke because it has a seperate cable.