Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Engine Question

JBute

My grandfather bored his kohler out an the engine didn't last to long, and yes you need those balancers, unless you want a vibrating seat!!!! good luck, -bradw

I am starting to rebuild a 12 hp K301 Kohler. It has the 13 fin block. Can I rebore this block large enough to accept a K321 piston? Would this amke the K301 a 14hp engine? Also I have been told by some that you do not need to use those balencer gears. I once tore down a K-321 that did not have any balencer gears from the factory. It was the original engine from a 14hp John Deere.Please advise!! Jim Bute

We have on request left out the balancers on the 10 & 12 horse engines with bad results. The 16hp is a different story!

Boring can be done to make 14 HP but is risky because you can't really measure the wall thickness that is left so why take a chance? If a balanced crank is used the balance gears can be removed - otherwise it will shake badly at idle. I think you will want to stick with stock setup.

I've done several 12- 14 overhauls you do have to measure the bolk thickness between the fins to find a thicker one , I've had 2 come apart one after 5 years of stock class pulling I'ld look around for a 14 hp block of short block if you realy want one Balence gears I toss them every time . early K's did not have them & kohler stopped using them in the late 70's for a while , they couldn't decide weather to use them or not . most people can't tell the difference . if Kohler did a decent job balencing the moters they never would have had to think about them in the first place . all of the assy. we check are realy off

• 3 weeks later...