Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
cahickm2

What is it and how does it work?

cahickm2
I need new points and condensor for my 3212. The old ones were rustly and looked worn out to me. I was looking on Jack's website and there is somekind of electronic module that can be used to replace those? I costs about half the price of new points and condensor. How does this work? is it reliable? which would be the better choice?

carbuff713
It works great. I installed one from Jack's on my 16hp single cylinder cast iron Briggs and it runs great. I highly recommend replacing your points and condensor with one of these.

Mat Perucci
If you get one of those coils that goes on the outside for the electronic ignition dont let it get filled up with water like mine had been from sitting before i bought it. when it gets water in it, it doesnt work very good

Ketchamized
cahickm2, To install the electronic ignition module, you'll have to take off the points/condensor cover- Remove the points and condesnor. Connect the ignition module's 2 wires inside that area. (ignition modules should come with instructions) Then put the cover back on. That's it. No adjustments. It's all "electronically done" inside the ignition module. It's pretty easy to do and it does make a huge difference. Engine starts up faster and in colder weather, starts up better. Very much worth it.

perry
is this what you guys are talking about??.. Brigg & Stratton Magnetron Kit Replaces points and condenser. To retrofit Most 2 legged ignition Armatures w/Breaker Points (type number MUST be higher than 500). Includes instructions, all you need is a soldering iron. Part# 394970 Our Price: $12.00

BrianP
The only down-side is that these modules only seem to work with the factory magneto setup. I don't want to give up my external automotive coil setup. I wasted too much time pulling engines and replacing magnetos to want to go back to that. Second time I replaced a stock magneto I switched to the coil. Works great on both of my machines. Isn't there a module that will work with the coil? Or am I destined to remain a points guy for the forseeable future? My 2 cents worth.