Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is it and how does it work?

cahickm2

I need new points and condensor for my 3212. The old ones were rustly and looked worn out to me. I was looking on Jack's website and there is somekind of electronic module that can be used to replace those? I costs about half the price of new points and condensor. How does this work? is it reliable? which would be the better choice?

It works great. I installed one from Jack's on my 16hp single cylinder cast iron Briggs and it runs great. I highly recommend replacing your points and condensor with one of these.

If you get one of those coils that goes on the outside for the electronic ignition dont let it get filled up with water like mine had been from sitting before i bought it. when it gets water in it, it doesnt work very good

how do i install these things? do i have to take the points plunger out? just solder the wire and go? any adjustments?

cahickm2, To install the electronic ignition module, you'll have to take off the points/condensor cover- Remove the points and condesnor. Connect the ignition module's 2 wires inside that area. (ignition modules should come with instructions) Then put the cover back on. That's it. No adjustments. It's all "electronically done" inside the ignition module. It's pretty easy to do and it does make a huge difference. Engine starts up faster and in colder weather, starts up better. Very much worth it.

is this what you guys are talking about??.. Brigg & Stratton Magnetron Kit Replaces points and condenser. To retrofit Most 2 legged ignition Armatures w/Breaker Points (type number MUST be higher than 500). Includes instructions, all you need is a soldering iron. Part# 394970 Our Price: $12.00

The only down-side is that these modules only seem to work with the factory magneto setup. I don't want to give up my external automotive coil setup. I wasted too much time pulling engines and replacing magnetos to want to go back to that. Second time I replaced a stock magneto I switched to the coil. Works great on both of my machines. Isn't there a module that will work with the coil? Or am I destined to remain a points guy for the forseeable future? My 2 cents worth.

After I installed the module, I had oil coming out of the points/condensor mounting (threaded screw) holes -- had to install screws back in the holes to stop the oil leak,

"If you get one of those coils that goes on the outside for the electronic ignition..." Does anyone know of an external coil that works with the electronic module?