Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor bar weight

rsnik

gregc my hat is off to you, that is quite a service you provide with the digest of ebay adds. I just discovered this feature. My wife is thrilled I no longer need to waste all that time browsing ebay. I am going to be able to get the house painted with all the hours of extra time I have now. This Broadmoor bar weight you found, depicted below, will it mount on the back of my 717? I have the snow blade and chains but no wheel or other weights. Mowerman, I should be asking you as you probably have one if it fits! Thanks, rsnik. BTW did you see the AC 716 up in PA in a trailer park that has a garden plow and snow plow. Almost over, wants $700 opening bid, no bids. Has shuttle transmission (did I read something about avoiding shuttle transmissions?) http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-Broadmoor-Bar-weight-45-LBS_W0QQitemZ270034527034QQihZ017QQcategoryZ82237QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I mow with a shuttle. You do need to readjust the engagement lever once in a while. I like the smoothness of the forward-reverse transitions on the shuttle. It works fine on my small lawn, with lots of trees and other things to mow around. I wouldn't recommend a shuttle if you need to do a lot of heavy pulling or pushing.

Hello HubbardRA, Well, this AC 716 has a moldboard plow and snow plow and the seller mentions "AND WHILE PLOWING A YEAR AGO A PIECE OF THE REAR END CASE BROKE OUT AT THE AXLE ON 1 SIDE AND I REPLACED THE WHOLE REAR END FROM A IDENTICLE SIMPLICITY" which certainly supports your obsrvation. rsnik

Jonathan - The seller of the weight bar is a club member and a real stand-up guy. I have purchased several things from him for my little fleet of Broadmoors. Too bad you are so far away, as I am sure you would have fun meeting him if you were to go pick up the weight. Tom Schmit in Milwaukee

Jonathan, The failure that you describe is usually related to abuse of the tractor. With the forward-reverse lever of a shuttle, it is very easy to pull the lever and suddenly jerk the tractor in the other direction. This puts extreme strain on the transmission components. It sounds like it was a failure of the torque tube going from the tranny to the diff. When these break, sometimes they will also break the transmission housing. The shuttle transmission is built very strong same as the other transmissions. In fact it is the same transmission as the three-speed, except that reverse has been removed and a 4th gear put in it's place. The problem that is most prominent in the shuttle trannys is that with the two belt system, it is difficult to prevent belt slippage, unless they are in perfect adjustment. When I said that they were not the best for pulling and pushing, I meant that they have the tendency to slip and burn up belts doing these tasks. Any of the transmissions can break the torque tube and maybe also the housing if abused. Sudden changes from forward to reverse and back will eventually fatigue the torque tube. This problem becomes exaggerated when wheel weights are added or tires are loaded, which adds more inertia to the system and also prevents the wheels from spinning. As far as I am concerned the problem with a shuttle is not one of reliability, it us usability, since the belts tend to slip if not properly and constantly maintained. As far as strength of design, materials, and workmanship, the shuttle is just as good as any of the other transmissions. If abused, any of the transmissions can break after 20 - 40 years. I have a shuttle, a 3-speed, and two hydro transmissions in my tractors. Although the shuttle is my least favorite, it is still a great tractor, and in my opinion much better than anything found in the box-store tractors.

Don't let anything scare you away from the shuttle tractors. I don't have any trouble with belt slippage. Guess I've just got the adjustments right.;) I currently have four shuttles, only one of which I haven't gotten around to going over and using yet. I have a Johnny Bucket Jr. on my 494cc shuttle and the only problem I have pushing is when I try taking too big of a bite in this hard red clay in NC. The tractor stops but will quickly dig some holes in the rear.

President Hubbard, Thank you for clarifying the issues on shuttle transmissions. I kind of put you on the spot with that quote from a seller which put a spin on your recomendation that made shuttle shift tractors sound unsound. Sorry about that. Frankly, I am very happy to go back to lusting after that AC 716! Best, rsnik

quote:
Originally posted by rsnik
gregc my hat is off to you, that is quite a service you provide with the digest of ebay adds. I just discovered this feature. My wife is thrilled I no longer need to waste all that time browsing ebay. I am going to be able to get the house painted with all the hours of extra time I have now. This Broadmoor bar weight you found, depicted below, will it mount on the back of my 717? I have the snow blade and chains but no wheel or other weights. Mowerman, I should be asking you as you probably have one if it fits! Thanks, rsnik. BTW did you see the AC 716 up in PA in a trailer park that has a garden plow and snow plow. Almost over, wants $700 opening bid, no bids. Has shuttle transmission (did I read something about avoiding shuttle transmissions?) http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-Broadmoor-Bar-weight-45-LBS_W0QQitemZ270034527034QQihZ017QQcategoryZ82237QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Yes I do have 2 of those, with the collar/dounut weights that slide on them, I have 2 of almost every implement for the Broadmoors, I don't have the snow cab and vac units yet:D:D:D:)

Johathan, You do not need to be so formal. Most of the guys on here just call me Rod. I didn't want you to take my earlier comments wrong. The shuttle is not a weak transmission. It is just that most people would rather have a hydrostatic tranny than a shuttle. A lot of people badmouth the shuttle, just like a lot of people badmouth Kohler engines, and some people badmouth tractors with running boards. There are always favorites when people are allowed to make a choice. Let me re-phrase my statement about shuttles. The "only" problem that I know of with the shuttle transmissions is with the belt adjustment. If you keep the belts adjusted, the tranny works fine. Does this clear up my first statement? If the shuttle tranny was a real problem, then I wouldn't be using one as my primary lawn mowing machine.