Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Now My 7790 Diesel

MarksA-C

[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/mccarronm04/779020Diesel202.jpg[/IMG] I found one of these last weekend up at a place near my cabin (location secret until later). The guy wanted $450 for it. It runs, has its cutting deck, drives nice. I could make that in 3 weeks of pay-checks from George Webbs. Should I go for it?

A lot depends on what kind of shape it's in and what you plan on doing with it. The mower alone is wourth the asking price and if the deck and engine are in good shape you would make out like a bandit on the deal. Serviced properly that tractor would last you anothe 10/20 years.IMO I don't need it but I'd buy it for that just on speculation of a later resale. My one word of caution, be carefull of spending your money before you make it. It's a bad habbit to break. I can say that from exsperiance.lol

The guy is willing to hold it until I have the money. Its in great shape, just the paint is faded and has some small rust spots on the fenders and hood(usual places).

Another thing I just thought of is that particular tractor might not suit you or your needs. It might be a good deal but is it YOUR good deal. Also what seems great right now doesn't always look the same after a few nights of sleep and time to think it through. Take your time, if he's willing to give you a day or two to think it over then decide, you'd be ahead of the game.

I think you should let me know Where it is I am probaly closer anyhow and I will make sure it goes to a good home(mine) Bob

dlcentral has one and love it. He has been making his own fuel, using used cooking oil.[:0] Yeah he is a cheep skate:D

I think Dave has some very good advice here that alot of us adults should try to follow as well..Think the deal over real good before forking over the money..And most of all if you can't pay for it with cash then you don't need it...I would imagin the parts for the motor would be very pricey so consider that too..We all have a hard time resisting a good deal but also we can't buy every good deal out there either..

MY TWO CENTS: I always looked at my tractors as a hobby that is also a working investment- I try to make sure that whatever I buy I can make a little money on if needed. At $450, you could DEFINATELY make some money off that, if it's in good running condition. If you can afford it, grab it. Even if you decide you don't want it, you could turn it over and put the money into somthing you want.

Mark - That diesel tractor is something that all of us have sort of drooled over. It is a powerful beast! But the various threads about it convinced me that the diesel is too complicated (for the average backyard mechanic) and extremely expensive if it needs professional service or any parts. For myself, I decided that the 7790 diesel would not be a good purchase, even at a "steal" price. Of course, you might consider buying it for resale to the SimpleTractors sharks that are circling - but you take the risk if there is a problem with the tractor or if you can't get enough to cover your costs! TomSchmit in Milwaukee

That is a very rare tractor. Plus it was very rare if you found one even new that ran well for any given length of time. If you look back in the past posts in the early days quite some talk was done on this tractor mainly its engine. It was known "at least most of them" to be cold blooded "hard to start" and having an engine that leaked oil alot "but" people also just didn't know how to use them or maintain them but neither did most of the dealers that sold them. Plus most of the engines vibrated quite abit along with smelled from the exhaust and most owners just couldn't get used to it and went back to a tractor with a gas engine ... but they sure had the torgue to go with it. Lets put it this way if I came across one I can't say that I would even concider purchasing it or not you could sell the stuff that comes with it and get most if not make money off of it "but" check on getting parts for that engine if I recall it was made in Japan but I could be wrong been that quite a few times in my life. I have had approx. 11 simplicity tractors that were gas powered and have had my share of problems with them I can't imagine having an oil burner "other then my Kubuta" and having problems with it and it sounds like you might not have the money to repair this one if something might go wrong "never put all your eggs in one basket" because if you drop it most will break and then your left just looking at the few remaining ones that didn't "I am refering to me" been there done it to many times. Suggestion - do a search and see what others that have owned them or sold them had to say about this tractor and then decide if you really either "just want it or need it or if you just want something no one else might not have" if its the latter then just maybe its worth a pass and find something with a gas engine. But if you can't get parts for the engine and something goes wrong with it you might not be so happy but then again you could still convert it to a gas engine if I recall. A couple good friends of mine own a Simplicity dealership and this isn't one of the best tractors Simplicity ever made let alone sold. But they do still have one customer that still has one of these and its in like new condition "only because more then half the time it doesn't run nor has ran well enough because of the cold start problem". I don't know why or where Simplicity was trying to go with this tractor at the time but it sure didn't go over like they thought it would and so few were made. Simplicity just plain didn't do their home work on this tractor before putting out to the public for sale. Good luck what ever you decide but doing your home-work per- say might just pay off in the end. Cheers to all - happyjack P.S. Everyones defination of being in great shape is almost always different just maybe you need to have someone check this tractor out like a mechanic from a simplicity dealership if you can find someone that knows about this tractors engine and a few bucks spent before you purchase it might just leave alot more of them in your pocket for some other tractor or even try calling a dealership and talk to the service manager or mechanic and ask their opinion that should be free. Cheers to all, happyjack

Sorry about my last post being so long winded I am a person that walks around the block just to get next door in my way of trying to explain things.........cheers

Looks like a real brute of a machine (in a good way) that would really be able to take on the big stuff, whether it's grass or snow/dirt moving. Be neat to try it out on my folks 6 acre place. Same caution as others here have mentioned, if you don't have the green, you really don't need it. Been there myself recently. Had to pass up a nice B-10 due to too many other things crying out for cash. Unlike some members, I don't have a huge out building, just a small shed that's already stuffed full of 3 tractors, rototiller, hand mower, week wacker spare parts, and all sorts of other assorted gardening equipment. Keep that in mind too. If you've got the money and space and it will serve your needs, then I'd say it's a deal. Good luck.

I'm glad someone started this thread on the 7790! Just last Tuesday I saw one that was as nice as the picture posted at the beginning sell at a local monthly machinery auction. It was in showroom condition and clean as a pin! The meter showed 614 hrs. but it looked like it spent those hours just idling or touring a golf course. The paint was a little thin on the high places on the running boards, but the leading edge of the mower deck wasn't even grass stained. The guy who brought it said he just bought it from an estate and didn't know much about it except what he read in the owner's manual. It sold at the auction for $1,800. I thought long and hard about trying to buy it, but decided to let someone else take it home. The main reason I let it go was that it was just too well preserved to use! And I just can't afford an $1,800 showpiece. It was a privilege just to see it! Darryl

I have had a 7790 Since new in 1985. At this time it has at a conservative estimate over 5000 hrs on the engine and has never been apart except for replacing the fuel injectors. One acted up and I replaced both. This tractor has been worked hard and put away wet. Really the only thing it has done is blow snow. It is like any thing if it is taken care of it will last. The engine is a Lombardini diesel made in Italy. At the time Briggs supplied the engine to Simplicity and owned a share in Lombardini. The engine shakes when cold idling but just of from idle it runs smooth. I have no problem starting it at 30° below zero I use a heat lamp for 15 to 20 min before I start it and it starts right up. This tractor works hard and even the Dealer can't believe what this tractor has done. Best purchase I ever made. I don't believe I would sell it for $3,000.00 and if the engine went south I would buy a new Lombardini to put in it.

I know of one that is sitting out in the the weather for at least two years. It's a dealer (place is a mess), and he won't let it go for less than $2000. He took it as a trade, and that's what he has in it. I am thinking of trading my JD400 for it, but he would have to get it running good for me.

Sorry to say, But SOLD!!! Over the phone he exepted my down payment of $150 that I mailed to him. I should have it in 3 weeks at most, but its staying up at my cabin, near mosinee (South of Wausau). Its the new workhorse that I'm going to us up there until I remember where I parked our other (Not Stolen) Sunstar. I parked it in one of our 2 small "Fields" and forgot where it was. The grass is like 3 Feet high! Once I find the Sunstar and get it running, the 7790 will hopefully be coming home to West Allis, WI. Do you think Older Sunstar attachments might fit? Thank You!

Sunstar attachments only fit the Sunstar series tractors. The nice thing about the 7790 is any of the 700/7000-900/9000 series attachments will fit and work well with the diesel. Congrats on your purchase. Even if you have bad luck with the engine and can't afford to fixor replace it you can put in a gas engine and still have a great tractor at a reasonable cost. I think you done good and should have years of service from this tractor. Maynards testimate alone is wourth the investment to me.

Oh, and Simpleton7016. When and If I ever get it down here, I'll let you have a ride on it. I won't lie, its going to do some work.

good deal, I look at it a s a profit turn over. Can I buy it cheap enough to resell and make a small profit on. As long as I wont lose money on it im game for the investment. James K.

I'm going to give this things hood and fenders a new paint job to get rid of the rust and I Will find a plow for it. I Will cover up the decals, I just have a few rust spots to take care of. And next weekend we're going to go up to my cabin to get it and I plan on finding that Sunstar!