Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New aquisition.........and a request.

michigandon

Ken, What I was hoping to do is be able to salvage the bearing block from the other model 19 in the siezed-up tractor and "straight-shaft" the running model 19 that I have with it. This engine runs great, only problem is that it has that big ol' honkin' "pumpkin" on the front that I want to take off. The tractor with the seized engine is actually the better one of the two, so I'd probably prefer to end up with a running engine in that one and part out the one that I already have. Your input is aprreciated! Don

What is the correct paint for this machine anyways? I was thinking of using International harvester red and white, but the red looks like it might be a little too dark? Toro/Wheel-Horse red looks like a close match..............

I've been lurking here for a while, but haven't posted much of anything. I've been wanting to find an old 700 to fix up and enjoy, and it looks as though I just got my wish. My firend gave me one that he had as a partial repayment for a debt. Runs ok, but there is one big problem as of right now..... At some point in time original Model 19 Briggs has been replaced with another one that appears to have came out of a concrete mixer or something, as It has a reduction gear assembly on the front. I want to remove this so that the hood will fit in place, but I am having difficulty locating a usable bearing block. Can any of you guys help, or would you know anyone that could? I stumbled onto another one of these at a local small engine shop. Has a mower deck, snowplow, and snowblade. But the engine in this one is seized. Owner is asking $250 for it. Is this a fair price or not? I figured I could make one good one out of the two, and probably sell off a few surplus parts once I got finished. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Don

Congratulations Don...I think you will enjoy it. I did about the same thing so it may be helpful to let you know my saga. I got a 700 with a full load of attachments (deck, tiller, plow, dual wheels, low speed gear conversion kit, and snow blade.) The implements were fine but the tractor rough. The engine was seized due to a rusted exhaust valve. Got the valve free but needed a new seat and valve guide. Dealer said he could no longer get the parts. About this same time I saw a reasonable fully restored 725 (even had the correct paint) for sale for $350 with a snowblower and deck so for a little more what it cost to buy a 19 I got the whole thing. It ran well so I got that and am in the process of using the 700 as a parts machine. Sooo I guess my point is the $250 for a spare parts machine is reasonable but you may still need a mod 19. The one in the $250 machine may not be fixable. You can post for a refurbished mod 19 on this group or perhaps have better luck finding parts than I had. It could be a matter of just trying harder to locate them. Anyway...good luck Ken Williams

Your welcome...let me know if I can help. I am still working through many of the same questions myself. The correct color is an orange...I believe there may be a color reference in this site somewhere. Many use the A/C Orange spray paint that can be purchased from Farm & Fleet, it is not a perfect color match but close. The wheels are an antique (I think) white. I understand the importance of keeping the colors as original as possible but I think the original orange would have been my 14th choice on a color. If my 725 had not already been painted the orange then I would have chosen a wheelhorse red. Sounds like you have a plan for the mod 19 so if you can get a working engine out of the deal then it is really good. Best......... Ken Williams

• 1 month later...
If you wan to get the paint color closer to the original orange, you can buy Allis Chalmers orange from Farm & Fleet and also a little IH Red and mix it in. I had some areas on my 66 2010 that still showed some of the original paint, so I just mixed in more red in until I got the color pretty close. Farm & Fleet sells tractor paint premixed and pretty inexpensively. It goes on with a nice shine, too.