Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
PhanDad

Leaking Sunstrand - Repair Help Needed

PhanDad
I've never ran into a leaking Sunstrand hydro before, only leaky Vickers. The leak is at the rear trunnion shaft of the pump as can be seen in this pic: [img]/club2/attach/phandad/7116_0001.jpg[/img] Front shaft is dry as can be seen in this pic (oily dirt at rear, dry at front): [img]/club2/attach/phandad/7116_0004.jpg[/img] If you look close, you can see clean metal directly under the shaft where it's dripping. Here's a parts breakdown of the area in question: [img]/club2/attach/phandad/7116_hydro.jpg[/img] Part #4 is the rear trunnion, part #3 is a snap ring, and part #6 is a lip seal. I'm hoping a new lip seal would fix stop the leak. I don't understand how the trunnion shaft stays in the body since the snap ring is on the outside and would stop the shaft from going "in", not "out". Anyone replaced this lip seal? If you remove the snap ring, will the shaft and bearing (part #7) come out? Any tricks? Second option is to replace the pump with a spare, but parts breakdown has a note about using "LocQuic primer NF" on mating surfaces (with a time limit), so replacing the pump doesn't sound easy either. Third option is to replace the pump and transmission as a unit - which is straight forward but a bunch of wrenching - and I'd still want to fix the leak to have a usuable spare. Thanks in advance for your help.